Forum home Plants

Flowering times

turmericturmeric Posts: 830
Morning, can anyone suggest a good place to find out when something usually flowers?  I mean more specific than 'Spring' or 'Summer', ie. which month.  If you want to know that a flower will be out in May for example where's a good place to find out?  My RHS Encyclopedia just says the season but I need to know the month(s).  Is this possible?  I realise plants will vary but knowing when they 'should' be in flower would at least be a start. Many thanks and keep warm everyone, I'm looking out at 8 inches of snow and it's freezing.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Bulb packs and seed packets often specify months and a look at a range of gardening books in the library may help, but plants can't read so it's a bit hit and miss. Just look at the weather today. It will affect so many things which would normally be surging into growth.
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 830
    Thanks Posy but seed packets are going to be enough, I'm thinking all plants (trees/shrubs/perennials etc).  It's just that I'd like a more specific idea.  I have lots of books but most just say the season.  I'm trying to learn more and I was trying to be more planned in my garden this year so that something started flowering in May and went into June, then something else was due in June to continue into July and Aug for example.  I'm sure it's possible to do this but I can't find a good source for the information.  I just wondered if anyone could recommend a website or certain publication? 
    Sorry, meant 'aren't going to be enough', not 'are' :blush:
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,426
    If it could be done it would be done. Take February Gold, occasionally flowers in February, mostly in March, occasionally in April. It all depends on the weather. I open the garden at the end of May, every year it looks different, sometimes the Laburnum is in full bloom, sometimes it's dropping brown petals everywhere. Sometimes the Iris pseudacorus is brilliant, sometimes only one flower is out

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,920
    Wot Nut said .......... and as for when Molly the Witch is going to deign to appear ... who can tell .......?  ;)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Dove. No Molly? Mine have been visible since autumn and growing fine

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,313
    I need to find an excuse to buy some Molly the Witch - a beautiful plant. But I don't usually have yellows in my borders...

As said above flowering times depend on environmental conditions.
    That said, there are filters on some site - Crocus being one - that allow you to select plants based on their (supposed) flowering month. That may be of some help.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Pete, with Molly you wouldn't have yellow flowers for long. Briefly glorious

Thanks nut and Dove.  I do realise things aren't written in stone and that the weather has a huge bearing on things I just thought it would be nice to have a better guide.  With each season covering 3 months that's a huge variation in times of the year (I know you realise that, I'm just putting my thoughts down :))  The Crocus website seems to be month specific which is helping me a bit but I have to put each plant name in.  I was just hoping there might be some way of doing it the other way round, ie. 'which perennial should be in flower in May' to which I can then read a list.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,313
    That's my other concern for such an expensive plant nut
    I'm sure one will sneak into my basket from Sarah Raven soon 

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.