One of the downsides of being a cat owner!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,541
    Liri - opposite problem here.  We had a cat who was heavily pregnant when we got married but kept her legs crossed till we got home from honeymoon.  We tried to move her into a clean, towel nest in OH's cricket bed but she wasn't having it.  Gave birth on our bed.  Lovely and a very noisy affair with top volume purring.  We moved her and her babies to the nest under our bed when it was all over and she happily stayed there but the noise continued with purring joined by loud suckling so we moved the whole lot to the box room.  Then, as they grew, we had to get them all collars with bells so we could tell where they were and not trip over them on the stairs.  We kept all 3.

The latest pair are very good at teasing the dogs.  Got to love 'em all.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 631
    Love reading these posts. I just thought of another downside and the best way to explain it is with pretend dialogue..
    ME "I've just bought your favourite food in bulk"
    THEM "We don't like it now and we won't eat it. We prefer the other one that we refused to eat last time. 
    ME "but I gave it away and don't have any"
    THEM "Get some"

SW Scotland
    Yep.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,982
    Oh yes.  Recognise that one...   ;)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

edited March 2018
    Mixture of both for both here.   We don't discriminate with ours except the cats don't get taken for walkies every day.   Oh yes, the cats have a flap.  The dogs have to ask to go in and out.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,903
    Our neighbours cat has at least three houses feeding him, depending on what mood he is in. He has a definite "I want feeding and I want feeding NOW", yowl.  He won't drink from a bowl, you have to turn the tap on and he laps at the stream of running water.  He likes to walk across the laptop keyboard if he is not getting enough attention, or sit in front of the television and swipe the controllers on the floor.  He is very pretty though, and he does seem to be keeping the squirrels off of the camellia.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 4,800
    Ah yes Purplerain, I think we've all probably experienced that one😆.
    My two have a choice of both wet and dry food every day, yet some dishes still get shunned due to the constant preference shifting between gravy/jelly. 

They also turn their noses up at the two bowls of fresh water I put out, preferring instead to sup from a dirty bucket or puddle in the garden.

Topbird's tale of Bertie teaching Harry all the tricks, reminded me of the very funny "Dear kitten" videos on YouTube. I also am a fan of Simon's Cat 😻.

I have taken to removing the dry food till the wet food is eaten.   They like Whiskas jelly or Sheba terrines.  Woe betide me if I get sauce instead or mousse.   They will happily drink water out of the dog bowl but not their bowl.   One likes to nibble a dog biscuit.

The dogs, of course, will wolf down any cat food they can find.  Everybody likes cheese and thinks we need help with hooman food.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 4,800
    Cheese snafflers eh?  Sounds familiar Obelixx. I have a large heavy wooden breadboard for sandwich making and they come running the minute they hear it hit the worktop, hoping for a bit of ham or other titbit.