One of the downsides of being a cat owner!

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,388
    Love Simon's Cat :) <3 Catmandu is my favourite.

Our late cat Bertie learned that when he needed us to get out of bed in the morning the usual noises and cat-pummeling didn't always work. Gently nibbling noses worked better but playing with OH's rather expensive wristwatch and (pushing it to the floor if need be) always had the desired effect.

Bertie was later joined by Harry. He taught him the tricks which Harry continued to use for many years after Bertie died.

Who says that cats can't be trained? - even if it's by another cat :)
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,594
    Don't we just love them all the same!! I remember when radios had valves!! That was when we moved to a house with electric. And for the first 4 years of my life, light came from Tilly lamps and all the cooking was done on a wood fuelled range in the living room!! Helped by living in a sawmill!!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,317
    There is so much fluff and mischief in a home with cats! I cannot believe how often I have to empty my vacuum - I'm sure it wasn't very often 'B.C.' (before cats). The main hair-magnet in my house is the valance of my bed as they play, hide and scratch on it! 
    They are so worth it though 😻
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    The kittens have mastered the art of turning the tapes on. They then like to stick their heads under and flick the water about.
    we also have a go bidet like this
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=go+bidet&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjPoPaDwPjZAhUJLsAKHWumCGQQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=643#imgrc=lkRXXay3j17j8M:
    on the loo in the downstairs bathroom. They have mastered turning this on as well and now we have to keep the door shut as last time they got in they flooded the bathroom.
    To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,099
    I recall one occasion when I was little that the TV stopped working and the repair man came out and removed a good few handfuls of cat fur from the innards after which it worked fine again. The cat generally liked to sleep on the top of the TV. 

Reading that back, there are a few points there that would make no sense to a millennial. I'm not 27 yet, but I do remember when only very rich people owned a TV (ours came from Radio Rentals), and consequently when a TV would be repaired when it broke rather than immediately replaced, and when TVs were large enough pieces of furniture for a good sized moggie to sleep comfortably on the top. 

It's comforting in some way to know that cats are adapting to the changes in technology and still managing to get in the way. Plus ca change...
    TV related rather than cat related, but my boss back in the late 1960's said he'd had to call the TV repair man out when his telly literally went bang.  Telly man took the back off and a load of small change cascaded onto the floor.  His young son had seen the vents on the top and assumed it was a money box.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,176
    @KT53 had he saved enough to pay the repair bill, I wonder....?

I love Simon's Cat  :)
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,982
    Re Simon's Cat:  me too.  Really well observed.   :)

We used to have a very timid cat, who would disappear for a couple of hours at a time if a visitor came, and when I got out the vacuum cleaner.  We were mystified where she went... until the start of the cricket season.  OH went to the drawer under the bed where he kept his cricket gear and found his jumper had been turned into a nest...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,178
    Topbird my favourite is Fly Guy,but I love them all.

We've always had cats,and one we had, used to bring in a frog from the pond! She would very carefully bring this screaming frog through the cat flap and drop it at my feet! It was never harmed,but it did my head in having to take it back to the pond every time!  Frogs and Lizards......ugh!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,756
    My daughter has 2 they have wrecked her leather sofa, walk along a narrow shelf in her bedroom knocking over and breaking a mirror, and several other things, she lives in a ground floor victorian flat came home from work one day to discover they had ripped down the wooden blind in the big bay window. My last cat used to bring in live frogs and mice, all pleased with herself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    The user and all related content has been deleted.