Delivery charges.

13»

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,610
    The point I was grumbling about is not adding £4.50 to a plant, it's adding £4.50 and then a surcharge of up to £20. I had been doing some research because I wanted a particular plant - nothing very exotic, but not available here. Sending packages, as an individual, can be expensive, but commercial companies have contracts, they do not walk round to the depot with a parcel in their arms and they factor in their costs into prices.
    Getting in the car and visiting nurseries isn't so easy when you live on an island. Cars DO cost a lot to take over and time is a factor, too.
    Kaymay, next time you put in an order, just pretend for a minute that you live in the Isle of Wight or in northern Scotland and see what they want to charge you. If you find a good company, other than Hayloft, PLEASE let us know!!!
    I should have explained that Hayloft are very good and reasonable but they were the only one I found.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    edited March 2018
    Some time ago my husband wanted to order a large piece of equipment and after researching all the combinations, he worked out that it was cheaper to have it sent to his sister in Maryland U.S. and for her to post it on to him!
    EH?  :o
    I live in Northern Ireland U.K. Don't start me!!!!
    Northern Ireland, eh! I bet you pay for an individual boat fare every time you put in an order!
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    I once sent a snottagram to a seller on ebay, complete with flight details, showing that it would be cheaper for me to fly to Liverpool and back to pick up his rotten curtains than to have him send them!!! Stick them up yer b*m!  >:)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,509
    Woottens are a superb nursery with great online service.  Have a look here for the carriage costs that would relate to you ... to me they seem not too bad

https://www.woottensplants.com/mail-order/courier-charges/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks, Dove, I've made a note of them.