The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Delivery charges.

PosyPosy Posts: 1,117
Please forgive me if I have a moan. I want to treat myself  to a nice new plant: for me, that means spending a fiver, I'm not rich. If I can't buy locally I have to add a delivery surcharge taking my order up by between £8 and £20. But I am not, as you might think, in Western Australia, I'm in the Isle of Wight. If I stand on a hill I can see Portsmouth, it isn't very far. So it's £25 for one 9cm potted plant. Thank you. I feel a little better for a grumble.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 808
    Grumble away Posy!
    I am on the Island as well.All the big couriers come here at no extra cost so I don't see why companies can't use them.
    Royal Mail and Parcelforce are also the same cost as the mainland.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,147
    I live just outside Edinburgh at the end of the M876. Perhaps not at the centre of a giant conurbation but certainly not out in the sticks. An English delivery company classed me as 'Highlands and Islands'!! and wanted to charge me £40 extra!!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,117
    Thank you MP! Crikey, Hogweed, how do they justify that? I don't know Edinburgh well but it certainly wasn't in the Highlands last time I looked. Do the words 'rip off' come to mind?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,110
    When I lived in Greenock ( 26 miles from Glasgow ) and went to college in Kent, they classed me as " an overseas student" I did ask which sea I had to cross between Scotland and England, but never got an answer.
    Devon.
  • KiliKili Posts: 51
    I'm in the channel islands 13 miles from the French coast. According to some companies charges you'ed think I was in Siberia  :( 

The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,126
    Yes I often find myself cautioning people about delivery charges when they tell me everything is cheaper on the internet. If you don't have the option to go to a GC or nursery then I guess you have to swallow it. The only other way I know is to save up your purchases, as sometimes delivery is free if you buy over a certain amount.
    AB Still learning
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,942
    Or maybe if people who live in an area could club together to make an order and split the carriage?
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • greenfingers stevegreenfingers steve Posts: 805
    Some postal charges for delivery of plants is rediculous. I live in Birmingham and one, so called, reputable online supplier wanted to charge me £12 for the supply of 4 plants potted up in 9cm pots. Obviously, it's in to the individual to decide whether they want to pay such a charge 
    I contacted the supplier and asked the simple question why the charge was so high for the supply of 4 small plants. They said they would contact me back , but never did, so they never got the order from me 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,147
    Convexly, if I am buying a lot of plants I wouldn't really notice 4-7£ delivery charges but on a few plants, it really annoys me. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.