I have a cabbage palm tree that is over 20years old.I need to prune one of the branches as it is get

I have a 20 year old cabbage palm tree that is getting top heavy.When is the best month to remove a branch?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,727
    I'd leave it until it starts to warm up a bit . The foliage will give some protection against the cold.
    Devon.
  • Freddies DadFreddies Dad LarbertPosts: 360
    Cordyline naturally branch when older, so am surprised that you think the crown is ‘too heavy’. You can remove a crown by severing it but as per the above wait till dry weather, though I advise leaving it.
  • Sheep.houseSheep.house Posts: 3
    Hostafan1 said:
    I'd leave it until it starts to warm up a bit . The foliage will give some protection against the cold.
    I have a 20 year old cabbage palm tree that is getting top heavy.When is the best month to remove a branch?

• Sheep.houseSheep.house Posts: 3
    Thank you for your help.The tree has 4 trunks and the weight of the additional branches are making it lean over.I just want to remove one of the branches,not take out a trunk.I will wait until the weather improves,snow here on the Isle of Wight at the moment.Once I have cut the branch will it leak sap? I don't want to lose the tree as its a nice feature in the garden.
  • Freddies DadFreddies Dad LarbertPosts: 360
    Once I have cut the branch will it leak sap? I don't want to lose the tree as its a nice feature in the garden.
    No, they do not leak sap - they can suffer from rot which is why we advise on waiting for better weather. You could cut now and spray the area with the likes of hydrogen peroxide.