Liatris Spicata

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,325
    Thanks for sending the links Hosta - I am so looking forward to seeing this in our garden - the first hurdle is to get out there to do the planting - in milder weather than we have right now!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 19,940
    @Guernsey Donkey2, I tried to post these links at the weekend and got a " waiting for approval" message. I guess they've approved them now. ;)
    Devon.
    Well and truly.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,199
    Mine grow very well on my acid soil. If that’s any help to anyone😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
    Yes it is helpful to know Lyn. Jacqueline has already mentioned that hers grow in pots which is another alternative to growing directly in flower beds/borders.  How tall do they grow?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,199
    About 2’ ish. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
    At 2 footish hopefully they will sway in the wind if I plant them into pots - maybe .....
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,541
    I had these in my Harrow garden, mildly acid clay, and loved them so tried them several times in my Belgian garden but they never came back - fertile, alkaline loam on a clay sub soil.  I don't know why unless it was just too cold and wet thru winter as the RHS says they're not fussy - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/10064/Liatris-spicata/Details 

This garden is mildly acid clay or loam so I'll have another go in a couple of spots and see how I go.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KaymayKaymay Posts: 65
    They have been excellent in my garden and I too have acid soil. As my local pound shop were selling them off last year at a bargain 25p a bag of 20 I did plant some extra in a pot with mpc. They did okay but not as good as the ones in the ground.

That must have been disappointing Kaymay - I will share them out between pots and flower beds perhaps. 25p for 20 - my goodness that was a bargain!