Forum home Plants

Hellebore babies!

Liz WarnerLiz Warner Posts: 199
Has my hellebore had babies?! 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150
    Good question Liz. I have spotted something similar for the first time in my patch this week. 
    They look very similar to what I saw in a google image search, but I will be interested to see what others say.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I think they are Hellebore babies, congratulations. Don’t be in a hurry to prick them out, let them grow on in there until they re much bigger. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Liz WarnerLiz Warner Posts: 199
    Sooooo excites. Love hellebores and plant them in every bed and border but it’s getting expensive 😬 How long do I leave them for and what do I move them to? 
    If you have other Hellebores, those babies may not come true to the mother plants, sometimes they just come out a dirty white, I have had some lovely double pinks and purples and some discussing grey ones. 

Thanks Lyn. The ‘dirty’ ones can go at the end of the garden! This hellebores nearest neighbour is about 25m away so we’ll see what happens 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,432
    That looks like Helleborus niger to me so you should be OK for staying white.

In the sticks near Peterborough
    It is nutcutlet! 
    I didn’t even notice the flowers there 🤭 of course it is! 

• Novice23Novice23 Posts: 200
    Hellebores are wonderful in the winter, giving a real lift to the miserable weather.  i often  get seedlings, and usually leave them to develop, sometimes I move them, but they seem to be happy wherever they land.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150
    Congratulations on your new babies Liz 😃.
    Mine have managed to sprout amongst a nearby patch of snowdrops... pricking them out should be fun😕.