Forum home Garden design

Waterlogged problem

Garden easily waterlogged about 80mm topsoil clay below buried 4 soakaway crates to form a sump but it just fills up if I pump it away down a drain is that ok or not need help 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,069
    In our last garden we had a pump that diverted excess water from a  sump into our drainage pond.  Worked a treat.  However, the sump had a manhole cover so we could maintain the pump if necessary.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,464
    Not sure about the legal position of pumping out a sump in the garden into the mains drainage system ... perhaps @raisingirl knows?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,905
    If you have a combined sewer - i.e. one that takes both rainwater and foul sewage, then you can connect a sump into the drain but there's always a proviso that there has to be no where else to put it (local stream, ditch, surface water drain, etc). If the sewer is foul only you could, and probably would, be prosecuted for putting rainwater into it. Having said that, they are much more concerned about foul discharges into rainwater drains than rain into foul. 

Strictly speaking, you're not allowed to discharge ground water into the sewerage system in the UK. Although when I once asked a man from Thames Water what we were supposed to do with it he just shrugged and said 'connect it and don't tell us' which wasn't very helpful. In your case it's maybe hard to say whether what's in your sump is rainwater or ground water.

If you consider the principle, the reason water companies don't want rainwater in the sewers is the risk of flooding during storms causing the foul stuff to come out of manholes and into people's houses. So if you, in effect, store rainwater in your storm crates during heavy rainfall and pump it into the sewer during dry weather they'd probably say that was a reasonable course if you don't have any option.

Ideally, you'd pump it into a surface water drain. Best place to find one of those is the road outside your house. If there's an open grate that the rain water goes into nearby, run a hose from your sump to the grate and pump it in there as long as it's not backed up and flooding the street.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,905
    I just wrote a long reply but seem to have lost it. Ah well - shorter version then.

The best option would be to run a hose to the drain gulley, if there is one, in the road outside your house. That way you are putting surface water into a surface water drain. As long as you don't do it when the gulley is backed up and the road flooded, there's no reason for anyone to have a problem with that.

If you put it into the main drains, you could in theory flood the sewer and someone upstream could get foul waste backing up in their house, which wouldn't be neighbourly of you and you may very well be prosecuted if it happened often. Same thing applies though - if you only empty the sump when the weather is dry and the drains are clear it probably won't attract attention.

They are more worried about people connecting foul waste into a rainwater drain than the other way around.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”