Forum home Plants

Japanese Quince advice please

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 Posts: 256
I have a Japanese quince shrub that produces lovely dark pink flowers and little yellow fruits but I want to dig it up and replant it as I have read it doesn't like wet soil. I have quite boggy clay soil where it is at the moment and need some advice on what the best position and soil type should be. Do I need to add grit? Does it like acid or alkaline soil best and will it withstand the wind or best in sheltered position. It's fairly small still but I'd like it to be bigger and wondered if the wet soil is restricting it's growth as well!! What's the best time to replant it, will it be ok to do it now? Would it be ok up against trellis?  Any help welcome. Many thanks. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,000
    edited March 2018
    They like their soil to be well-drained but not dry and don't mind about alkalinity or acidity.  They're good in full sun or a bit of shade for part of the day and, once established, they're also OK with exposure to winds.  It can be trained against trellis if needs be.

If it's still small enough to dig out with plenty of root ball you could move it now unless it's flowering already as that will stress it.   Water well first and take it to a ready prepared planting hole.  Plant at the same depth as it was before, water well and mulch.

The best time for moving shrubs is autumn once they've gone dormant as this gives their roots time to establish again and grow new root hairs before having to deal with demands to feed flowers and leaves.  If you move it now you are going to have to make sure it is watered over the whole summer so it doesn't get stressed.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Hi Claire, I agree with everything Obelixx has said and will add that it might be worth propagating it in case it doesn't survive.  I've managed to grow about a dozen new plants by waiting until the fruit falls and collecting the seed although they do take about 3 years until growing to flowering size and may not come true.  You could also try taking cuttings - about 15 to 20cm long branch tips, placed into gritty compost.  Not sure how well they'd take at this time of the year but nothing to lose by trying. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,799
    edited March 2018
    Chaenomales responds really well to layering ... if  you can 'bend' a low growing shoot so that it begins to splinter just a bit, then put it on  ground and peg it down, next year you'll have a new baby shrub ready to detach from the parent and pot up.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 Posts: 256
    Thanks Dove that sounds easy enough to try. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,799

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.