Forum home Plants

Young rose plant bought from a florist

On impulse I bought what I thought was a single rose plant, to plant in a container outside. I now see that it is actually four plants in a small pot 16.5cm wide x 13cm high. What should I do? Separate them and put one in a large pot and the others in the ground? My pot is huge, going by the maxim for roses of 60cm x 60cm cube although it is narrower at the bottom. They look very young and some of the stems are still not woody. I hope you can see from the picture.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,506
    If sold by a florist it may be a less hardy type intended for forcing and hothouse growing, particularly as it's obviously been forced into flower. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Well, I live in Cyprus and some roses have been blooming outside throughout the winter, in fairly protected conditions (houses on either side and opposite on a narrow road), but this looks a bit different. I rather think it was sold as a ‘patio rose’ as it is rather delicate looking, but there was no way of telling and no label. Maybe I will knock it out of the pot, as you suggest, just to see how many plants there are, and start by putting it into a pot that’s just a bit larger. Thank you.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,506
    Ah ... Cyprus ... that's different ... should be fine outside then  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Have just inspected them - there are four, and each one’s roots seem to be encased in a plug as I imagine rootstock roses are like (have never opened one to see).  So I could plant them out separately - more than one to a 60cm x 60cm pot would be too much, even though they grow no more than a metre, I was told. Don’t you think?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,630
    For now, just plant each one into a 10 to 15cm pot, depending on root size and let them grow on individually.  I would remove flowers and buds as you go so they can concentrate on roots for now.   Keep an eye on each pot and re-pot as they start to outgrow their first pots. 

Work up gradually to bigger pots.  No need to keep removing the flowers after the first move.    It's a bit more work but you should end up with 4 good plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you, Obelixx. That’s very helpful, though it breaks my heart to cut off all those flower buds!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,630
    They'll soon grow back once the roots get away but you don't want them trying to flower and grow roots all at once.  They'll be exhausted.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,404
    I would just leave them if it was mine, and perhaps pot it into a little bit bigger pot, no need for anything too large, 60 x  60 cm is unnecessarily large at this stage.  
    I buy these from supermarkets here, and like to grow a few in my greenhouse, but they also do well outside, but will stop flowering if I put them outside now, it's too cold, but will recover later on..
    There are usually 3 or 4 rooted plants in each pot but as I only keep these plants for 2 seasons before chucking them out and buying fresh ones, it's not worth splitting them.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, and enjoy your roses..

Here's a photo from last year..