Forum home Fruit & veg

Allotment?

I think my local allotment has plots available and since I don't have enough space the enough sun in my own garden I am thinking about renting one. 

I would use it to plant fruit and mainly veg, just for me and my partner really, so the question is, is it actually worth it from a financial point of view? Has anyone got allotments and would like to share their experience? I believe the rent is set to 2018/19 £57.75 per 10 rod plot (approx. 250m2) Smaller plots are pro-rata, 2019/20 £75.00 per 10 rod plot (approx. 250m2) Smaller plots are pro-rata.

This does sound like quite a lot of money especially with the rate going up steeply for the next year(s). I also am having troubles "picturing" the size of 10rods, is that really quite big? Maybe a smaller one would be enough for us?

Your opinion is welcome :)

• stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127
    We've just taken on half a plot, the size of which I can never remember. We change our mind daily about what we're going to grow, but I have no illusions about making a profit. It's healthy exercise, and a rewarding hobby.
    The guy on the plot next to mine said he was determined to grow the perfect carrot, so he did everything by the book and the most delicious crop ensued. The resident badger took a bite from each and scattered them far and wide  :(
  • SuperheroSuperhero Posts: 53
    edited March 2018
    We've just taken on half a plot, the size of which I can never remember. We change our mind daily about what we're going to grow, but I have no illusions about making a profit. It's healthy exercise, and a rewarding hobby.
    The guy on the plot next to mine said he was determined to grow the perfect carrot, so he did everything by the book and the most delicious crop ensued. The resident badger took a bite from each and scattered them far and wide  :(
    That is my concern also, that I rent a plot, which I don't consider very "cheap", put all the hours and effort in, plant all sorts of veg and then the dreaded "pests" come and help themselves... I've had really bad luck in past years with snails for example.

Things I would love to grow: Tomatoes, mangetout, french beans, peppers (although I've never been very successful with these and only ever had tiny ones it seems), chillis, 2 courgette plants and maybe an aubergine (TOH doesn't like them), cucumber, lettuces.

If there is space I would plant some potatoes and some carrots, some radishes.

I've only ever had tiny patches in my own garden and managed to grow quite a lot (when the snails didn't kill it all!) but I guess you would cultivate more if you have the space. But what do you do with all the veg that you can't eat yourself? There is only so much I can give away.
    Oh it's not that I want to make a profit, obviously I wouldn't be selling any, but I've always enjoyed growing veg and harvesting it, going "shopping" in your own organic supermarket and cooking what is ready at the time is just exciting. But it takes a lot of time and effort, especially when you have to drive to your patch and it's not attached to your house, so I do wonder if it is worth it. I don't want to "make a loss" if I might as well go to the nearest supermarket for our few toms and cucumbers ;-) Although this is not much fun, of course.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    I think you know the answer already. If you love mucking about in the soil and really value the better taste of freshly picked veg, then go for it. But it IS a lot of time and effort, there will be disappointments and what you grow will always cost you a lot more than you can buy them for, even without factoring in the value of your time.
  • stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127
    Buying potatoes from supermarkets is always a lottery. They can be truly awful, and you don't know until you've cooked and served them. If I was short of time, I'd grow those and nothing else. Well, strawberries too maybe.
    Buying potatoes from supermarkets is always a lottery. They can be truly awful, and you don't know until you've cooked and served them. If I was short of time, I'd grow those and nothing else. Well, strawberries too maybe.
    The problem with potatoes is that I have nowehere to store them long-term... unless actually I put them in the summerhouse over winter.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,833
    Ok look at it this way. How much would gym membership cost you & would you actually go or a tennis club, Golf club or whatever ?  I am in London & we pay over £100 for a 10 Rod plot plus a charge for water & services. No it is not economic in terms of food prices but despite our moans in this country our food is artificially cheap. I drive to my plot too.
    If you love growing & harvesting your own food then you have to do it. You already know that nothing beats the flavour hit from something fresh picked & popped straight into you mouth, if not you are growing the wrong things! Yes not everything will work some will be great some will be less so but that's all part of the fun.  Have you seen the price of Rhubarb or Raspberries in the shops?  I would never buy Broad beans in the shops to throw away so much of the weight  that is in  the pod, but a Packet of seed in two sowings  4 weeks apart  will give you crops for 2 months. People are often surprised at what will grow here, one of our plot holders grows all exotic & Asian veg. Only you know if you have the time, start with a half plot as a full plot is a lot to take on if you are not sure. There are systems for organising things so you can be time efficient if you must but one of the things I love is going back to a more natural pace & being patient not trying to do everything in a rush. I could go on.......
    AB Still learning