My pond!

I have officially opened the pond lol! I dug and filled it last November and have finally put the finishing touches in! I can’t wait for the plants to get going (I’m guessing algae will be first!). The pond has marsh marigold, water avens, water hawthorn, hornwort and a few ornamentals like iris and anemopsis.  I’m already spending an inordinate amount of time staring into it! My daughter has been busy decorating the logs with pebbles bless her! No frogs yet, but plenty of caddisfly, bloodworms and daphnea. Now to start work on the surrounds, trees are arriving soon and planning lots of wild flowers, grasses etc. Any thoughts on improvements, plants to add... and if you could let the frogs know it would be much apppreciated! Soooooo exciting!!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269
    Looking good, once you have the oxygenating weed filling two thirds of the water, you won’t get algae any more.  
    Tips would be if you want a wildlife pond is don’t keep it too tidy, let the grass grow around the edges, some tall reed like plants in the middle, so frogs and dragon flies can feel safe, make sure your beach bit isn’t too sloping so hedge hogs or birds can just come for a drink without falling in, apart from that, your doing well. 
    Here’s a pic of mine, just to see the untidness😀

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 769
    Thanks Lyn. I am willing everything to grow lol! I am desperate for the weather to fine up. Shouldn’t wish time away but there is so much to do!! Yellow warning of snow for Sunday is not filling me with hope lol! Still, there are seeds to sow I guess...Your pond looks gorgeous and what a view! What is the tall plant in the centre? I have some iris in the pond and iris sibirica and darmera around the edges behind the logs and when I find a pot big enough (cue a dustbin??) I might get gunners as I just love it’s size!!
  • wrighttwrightt Posts: 179
    I would add astilbe and hostas as they flower later than the iris also if you want some height add ligularia przewalski (sorry I think this is how it is spelt). For your widlflower area go to http://www.pictorialmeadows.co.uk/ as they are the best by far and I have tried many other companies without success. 
    Thanks Wrightt. I have hosta on my list and have been mulling over Ligularia, I like it as a plant, but I'm not sure. I like rodgersia too...so many plants! The fence has honeysuckle and rose, although need to add more. It's a funny spot along the fence as it's NE facing and exposed too. It can get a bit wind blasted as we are on a high spot and surrounded by fields at the back. I want to get the trees sited before I make decisions on the surrounding plants. The soil is rubbish. It's clay on chalk and varies in depth. Added to that previous owners have had a rocket there at some point and the people before them dumped loads of random things there- think kitchen cupboards, old garden forks and rubble. I dug most of it out by hand and put in top soil before we seeded the lawn (got a frozen shoulder out of it by way of thanks!) and THEN I decide to put in a pond lol!
    rocket? what interesting owners lol! A Rockery!
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,805
    edited March 2018
    I use Barley straw logs to help prevent algae.I get the ones with a cork so they float (otherwise they sink to the bottom when waterlogged).They will float for a while then gradually go under so you only really see the cork.You need to put them in soon as they take a few weeks to get going.I also replace regularly about every 6 weeks so there is always at least one on the go!

....forgot to say I love your pond!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,718
    Flinster said:
    Thanks Wrightt. I have hosta on my list 
    EEK!!!! What have I done now?? :(
    Devon.
    😂
    Thanks Madpenguin, will get barley straw on my list too! I am becoming slightly obsessed... pacing back and forth to the pond like an expectant mother... still no frogs and think it’s going to be too cold this week. I don’t think there is enough cover to tempt them... maybe next year when there’s more vegetation around...
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,535
    Flintster your pond looks fantastic 😊 Look forward to updates as everything grows.
    the birds especially will love bathing at the edges 😊