Lemon tree recovery advice

MrsGlazeMrsGlaze EssexPosts: 59
Hello, I am hoping for some assistance again please with a small lemon tree that I bought in June last year. It is around 4ft high including the pot, i don't know what type it is as it was bought from a private seller. It had been hard pruned before we took it on, but it made some new growth during the summer and looked healthy. We have kept it on our south facing patio next to the house under a 'lean-to' style roof and used a fleece for protection over the winter. I only uncovered it on any bright milder days to give it some light, but otherwise it was always kept covered up. After the Beast from the East left the leaves on this tree looked limp and curled under the fleece and the soil was bone dry, so i used luke warm tap water mixed with a tomato feed to try and help revive it. It's now been a week since it was uncovered and it still looks in a sad way. I really need some help, should i just leave it alone to recover? does it need any more feed? (i have just ordered a summer feed for citrus trees) or do i need to take another action to stop any further deterioration? Please if anyone can give me any pointers, I don't know what I should do for the best. Many Thanks

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,081
    Not that bad considering. Try and keep it next to the house wall. Some leaves will die and drop off , but as it gets warmer, start increasing water and use a citrus feed. New shoots will soon get moving.
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • MrsGlazeMrsGlaze EssexPosts: 59
    Ok thank you very much I will move it back against the wall and give it another feed, this is the first fruit tree I have taken on so i am very cautious about what to do. I really thought i had lost it after this cold snap, so i'm encouraged by your comments. Thanks 
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,092
    Check the newer shoots and prune back to "live" growth once danger of frost is past.  Difficult to tell from your pic - could just be leaves which have suffered.  To make it look slightly better, you can either remove the obviously dead leaves or wait til they drop.
    Little point in feeding just yet - particularly with a Tomato feed as that is only to promote flower/fruit - get the worst of the weather over with first and then use a feed which will benefit the tree overall.  Time yet to encourage flowering - healthy green growth should be the priority at this point in time.
  • MrsGlazeMrsGlaze EssexPosts: 59
    Thank you Phillipa Smith2 I take your point about the feed, I was concerned that it had dried out too much so I wanted to give it a drink. The leaves are slightly yellowed/curled and hanging limp on the branches. I won't trim or remove anything until i can see evidence of new growth again when the weather improves. I have moved it against the wall now as per fidgetbones advice. Thank you