PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING PLANT OR IS IT A WEED

Sarah PriceSarah Price Posts: 22

Please can you help identify this flower.   It is pretty, but very prolific.   I have a cottage garden and it grows everywhere at this time of year.   Should I leave it alone to spread or should I be removing it.  Many thanks for your advice.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 3,718
    Hi Sarah :)

That's celandine. It grows everywhere in my garden too. Whether it's a weed or a desirable plant depends on how much you like it. I try to confine it to a couple of spots in my garden but it's not easy to keep under control.

If you carefully did out one of the plants - roots and all - you will probably find a whole bunch of tiny tubers (like a potato plant) hanging from the roots. Each one of those tubers will root and form a new plant if disturbed and distributed in the border by digging and hand weeding.

So - if you like it and want more - regular hand weeding will distribute the plant around.

If you have too much and would like to get rid of it you need to (very carefully) lift the whole plant (tubers and all) and carefully dispose of them (but not in your own compost bin).
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Sarah PriceSarah Price Posts: 22
    Thank you so much topbird.  The information was just what I needed to know.  I have noticed they have tiny tubers. It is such a pretty flower for this time of year, and if it spreads too much, I will do as you have advised.  Many thanks again. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,211
    I love their sunny faces in the spring ... some people find them a nuisance, but they die down totally by the time the summer comes so I'm happy to give them a place on the banks under the trees, and if they spread too far I weed them out a bit ... I know I won't win, but I don't mind.  :)
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,043
    You are right Dove - they certainly do spread, we have them in all our flower beds now, and some in the lawn.  Unless I spend days just carefully digging them out, they are here to stay.   The bees seem to like them, and I must admit I quite like their cheery flowers too.