Forum home The potting shed

programmes to watch

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,038
    Re The English, are there many scenes of animals being mistreated? Worried I might not enjoy it. I can cope with the characters meeting sticky ends, as I know I’m not watching a snuff movie ( I hope!) but at least the human actors are only pretending, have consented to take part, and are getting paid for it!
    Also, SPOILER ALERT, did someone mention an unhappy ending? OH loves westerns, fancies Emily Blunt, but can’t abide a sad ending. Still haven’t got over taking him to see Summersby in the cinema!
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Ah, Emily Blunt, your hubby is a man after my own heart , @Ergates
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,154
    Tonight on BBC4 from 10pm - The Crow Road. A brilliant dramatization of Iain Banks' excellent novel set in Scotland. It was first aired about 25 years ago and has become an underground classic. The first programme tonight features the actors looking back on their time in the series, including Bill Paterson, Joe Mcfadden (Strictly) & Peter Capaldi (Dr. Who) and the gorgeous Valerie Edmond (who I've never seen in anything else more's the pity).

Absolutely essential watching!
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    Good grief, was that 25 years ago? I feel OLD now. 
    I've seen it, it was good. But I absolutely loved the book.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,154
    Yes @LG the TV series first aired in 96. But like you I also loved the book. I've read it twice. I might revisit his debut 'The Wasp Factory' sometime soon.

I've just watched the first programme and it's only Joe McFadden's recollections, none of the other actors (like it said in my TV magazine!) but really enjoyable nevertheless.
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 258
    It’s official theres a ‘Christmas Special The Detectorists ‘ BBC 2 Boxing Day at 9 o’clock .  Comedy at its best ! .
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    Oh dear. I can't believe I'm suggesting this (not my kind of thing at all!) but... The Traitors. All episodes so far are on iPlayer. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,170
    @Hostafan1 if you are looking in there is a Sewing Bee on tonight at 8pm.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,771
    BBC1 from 9pm:

The Cleaner - Christmas Special,
    Motherland - Christmas Special,
    Two Doors Down - Christmas Special.

That’s my evening sorted. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,305
    Detectorists is my happy place @Valleysgirl.... Learnt ballet and tap in that very scout hut... Drank in all those pubs as a teen and family friends were two of the ramblers in the last series..... So beautifully written and filmed... Such care taken... Such subtly that I notice something new every time I rewatch!
    Makes all of Christmas worth while for me... Enjoy!