Forum home The potting shed

programmes to watch

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,551
    edited November 2021
    Watched it this morning and although it put me an hour behind it was well worth it.
    Looking forward to next week's episode. There are only two in total. 
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,551
    Forgot to watch The Wild Gardener on Friday night and happened to catch the final half this morning on BBC2 at 8.30am. If you have missed it you can easily google it and I can highly recommend it.  :)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,089
    Yes, it's very inspiring.
  • Fire said:
    Yes, it's very inspiring.
    It convinced me to grow some comfrey next year for the bees. I already have a patch with borage and nettles so the comfrey should blend in nicely.
    Sunny Dundee
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,936
    I have been propagating comfrey as both a plant for pollinators and a liquid fertiliser tea plant.   However, I've had to net it against the chooks to get the babies growing so no use to pollinators at the mo, tho I do have a packet of phacelia seeds to sow which should help redress the balance next spring and summer.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    edited December 2021

It was a Beast from the East - strong winds in from Siberia - that froze Britain solid for three months.  The sea froze in Essex. The Thames froze. The canals froze. Most docks froze. Most of the country had no rubbish collection for weeks. The South West was worst hit. Train crashes. Motorways and railways shut. Avalanches. It killed half of the UK bird population. 12 people died in the Boxing Day blizzard. Water, coal and electricity rationing. Pretty much all sport was cancelled. It was compared to the Blitz. The arguments about spending money on proper snow plough supply and rock salt, were going on then too.

I was fascinated that in 1963 Glasgow had the first white Christmas for over 20 years.  I thought it might be might be more common there.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,200
    I remember it well, @Fire.  Saw the programme too, which brought it all back...  my main memory, living in rural Hertfordshire, was snow over the tops of my wellies, and following the coal lorry down the road with a basket, "gleaning" lumps of coal which were accidentally dropped.  My primary school remained open throughout, to my disappointment.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • VictorMeldrewVictorMeldrew Peak District edge, CheshirePosts: 169
    Wow - an essential watch. I was alive at the time but can't remember much of it. They also kept on mentioning 1940 & 1947. How much more people had to suffer during the blitz and post-war rationing!
    Every now and then I like to do as I'm told, just to confuse people
    1947 was brutal.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,401
    My sister was born in January 47 and I was born Dec 62. 
    My dear late Mother certainly had fun .
    Devon.