Red leaved tree on chalk ideas

WaysideWayside Posts: 646
Hi, my partner fancies a red leaved tree in an area that is in partial shade, probably gets full sun from about 11-13.00.  Nothing comes immediately to mind.  Nearby there is a crab and hawthorn.  I thought perhaps there may be a crab apple, but I'm a little worried I have too much Rosaceae already going on, so wouldn't mind another species.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,533
    If your partner would be content with the red leaves just in Autumn, I'd grow one of the deciduous Euonymus (Spindle) trees.  They have gorgeous red autumn leaves, and interesting (but poisonous) red and orange fruit.  Euonymus alatus, the winged spindle, has strange bark too.
    "Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change"    Stephen Hawking
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,250
    I think the shade factor may be a problem ... autumn colour is always better on trees that get plenty of sunshine in the summer to produce the starches and sugars that make the colours.  
    "Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money."  Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,508
    Japanese barberry?
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 646
    If your partner would be content with the red leaves just in Autumn, I'd grow one of the deciduous Euonymus (Spindle) trees.  They have gorgeous red autumn leaves, and interesting (but poisonous) red and orange fruit.  Euonymus alatus, the winged spindle, has strange bark too.
    I've planted a small whip one of these.  How long do you think before it gets going?  I could possibly move it to this spot.  Thanks.
    Firefly0 said:
    Japanese barberry?
    The barberry isn't really a tree though is it?  I have a little shrub getting going, but I don't imagine it to ever get that much beyond a metre in height and width.  And it's pretty ugly out of season.
    Smoke bush aka cotinus coggygria, has red leaves and does fine in those conditions. 
    Yeah, I'd personally like one of these....

Visible from the back door, so would always give a bit of varied interest.
    It's not the most shaded of spots.  But doesn't get all that lovely summer afternoon/evening light.  Remember that?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,250
    Wayside said:
    It's not the most shaded of spots.  But doesn't get all that lovely summer afternoon/evening light.  Remember that?
    That strange golden ball in the sky?  I think I remember seeing it once upon a time ... 
     B) 
    "Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money."  Anon

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,533
    Wayside, I don't think Euonymus are the fastest growers.  I have Euonymus europaeus, the native spindle, planted in my garden 7 or 8 years ago as a 10" seedling.  It's now about 5 feet tall.
    "Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change"    Stephen Hawking