What’s wrong with my cactus

Hi all,
I was hoping someone is able to help me find out what’s wrong with my cactus. Ever since I bought it it has had white spots on it but they keep getting worse and now it seems to be killing the plant.

I don’t know whether it’s because I live in a warm flat but some of our other plants have been dying as well. I’m just abit concerned.

He’s just a little small house cactus. I don’t know whether it’s a fungus or an actual bug  infection.

Thank you for any help you can give

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,034
    Mealy bug?

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Monica Young 392Monica Young 392 Posts: 3
    Mealy bug?

I thought that as well but I’m not sure because I don’t know how it could have got it. It’s not been outside at all. Do you see the bugs themselves or are they too small?
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,624
    looks like mealy bug (all it takes is one to get into the house somehow), spray with some tepid water with soft soap in it (or insecticide if you would prefer- but you'll still need soap as mealy bugs have a waxy covering that repels water)
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,034
    Methylated spirit on a cotton bud can be used to get rid of them.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 184
    Hi Monica

Though I'm not a cactus expert, I  have had a few cacti for several years and know one hates to lose them. 

I have never had this particular problem with them and I'm sure the advice you've been given is going to do the trick.  But, I was thinking that perhaps you could keep the original plant and start off again by propagating it.  Using a totally healthy, entirely unaffected small portion (approximately 2 inch) of this plant (removed with a sharp knife) and placing it in very gritty compost, you could end up with a brand new, healthy cactus.

One is advised with cacti and succulants to leave the cut off pieces open to the fresh air in order to dry somewhat.  However, I do know that commercially this is not the practice.  Just don't water it for a couple of weeks and it should be fine.  Mine always are.

I imagine it could fail, if the disease is systemic(?), but it might succeed and you have nothing to lose!
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 61
    I think that's a very good idea, Sam 37, and she has nothing to lose. 

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

I like your avatar, Zoe.  Rather telling... :)
    Thank you.  I like it too, and it's so   hard to believe that 50 years on, things have not changed much.  So many of us still judge others by the colour of their skins. :'(

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

I looked at your posting hitory, Sam, and found you mainly on "Have a giggle".  That's what I call interesting!
    153 views 696 posts
    I can't quite work out how 696 posts result in just 153 views!??

Martin Luther King

Ha! That's rather amusing.  I imagine when the changes happened something went wrong.  I seem to remember that there were over 130k views at some point, though I'm not at all certain of the final viewing figure. Perhaps the k is missing?