Forum home Problem solving

Covering 1m high metal railings

I have a rather unsightly metal railing along one side of my (new build) house, which I'd like to cover with some nice planting.  I'd rather keep the width to a minimum, in order to maximise the use of the strip of land between the fence and the house, and so am looking for alternatives to a conventional hedge (much as I'd love a beech hedge).

I had thought about training climbers up and along the railing, treating it in effect as a ready-made trellis. The fence is only about 1m high, so am worried this is too short to effectively grow climbers. I'd love something flowering like a nice rose or two, but have no experience with climbers other than ivy...

I don't mind if the railing isn't completely hidden by foliage, just want to at least obscure it with something more attractive. Any advice/alternative suggestions very gratefully received!

Thank you  :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    Have a look here at various varieties of clematis which don't grow very tall and which flower at low heights http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-3-4ft-1-1m/  

Just make sure you note down which is which and which pruning group it is in so you know when to prune each one. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AndyDeanAndyDean Posts: 157
    Excellent suggestion, thank you! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
     :)
    It'd be lovely to see some photos as it develops 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh