Forum home Fruit & veg

Companion planting information booklet

Hello all!

I am a final year Newcastle university student completing my dissertation. I have produced an information booklet on companion planting for gardeners. Feedback would be massively appreciated. I can individually email you my booklet via email.

Sam.

• sam jeffery 65sam jeffery 65 Posts: 4
    edited March 2018
    This is a small sample of the booklet
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,144
    Not something I would be interested in thanks.  What most people think go together don't look right to me 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899
    Looks like it might be useful to the veg and fruit people.  I'm more of a flower girl :)
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 305
    Nice work Sam. I'd be interested and will pm you with an email address.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297
    An impressive amount of research there, and well laid out, but I'm not sure how applicable the suggestions mght be to where I live. I do realise that this was just a sample, and another page might be more helpful.
    My own conditions are fairly tough, I know, but it might be worth checking that your info matches your target audience and their gardens a bit more closely.

No way Basil would grow in the garden with my broad beans, it's indoors only here.

I tried peppers for the first time last year, with some success, but kept them in the green house. Am going to have another go this year, with more plants, so may risk a few outside, but 'summer' here can be capricious at best and sometimes be absent altogether! Not many peach trees round here though, if any, which may reduce the risk somewhat :) .

I'm familiar with some aspects of companion planting, and though I don't make a point of it, I do try to avoid a monoculture.
    I also use no chemicals and have a wildlife friendly garden , so that aphids of any kind rarely survive for very long.
    Now, if you could find a companion plant that would actively repel slugs and snails, you would have lots of happy customers! The nearest we can get is to supply them with sacrificial plants instead of our crops but they don't always take the hint. 
  • Hello Buttercupdays!

Your comments are very helpful indeed and I thank you kindly for your feedback. you make some very relevant and interesting points!
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,578
    I'm not sure about broadbeans and basil, broadbeans are pretty much out before basil gets going as one is cool weather and the other warm. I'm a long way north so basil is greenhouse only for me too, but when I lived in the south my Broadbeans were out in June long before basil took off.

Otherwise. I am highly skeptical of companion planting I generally consider it a load of nonsense to sell books. So I like that you have the references at the bottom of the page.
    The layout is generally fine but you have two sets of layout  diagram designs one on each page, in my opinion it would be better to standardise that so it is the same on every page, my preference is for the Basil/companion with the scale in the box, over the rosemary/pepper diagram
  • Hello there ! thank you all for such good feedback and suggestions so far! very much appreciated!