1st butterfly sighting.....

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,980
Despite all the snow, the first sighting of a butterfly on the plot for me signifies Spring is on it's way.   

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,319
    We have had a vile winter with lots of snowfalls and frosts and rain in between. Saw a few gnats before the 'Beast', but even then the cats were catching an unusual number of shrews, and even the dog caught one, which makes me think they've been having a hard time of finding enough to eat and had to be out and about in daylight more than normal.
    No bees or butterflies yet, but I have heard the curlews, the moles are very active and we have our first lambs :)

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Just seen my first Butterfly on the crocus, with the bees as well. The pulmonaria blue ensign have gone down a treat too. 
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 605
    Two days ago (15th March 2018), some sun, and a neighbours cat spotted jumping after the first butterfly that I've spotted this season (outdoors).   The butterfly escaped!  I've seen some bees on the pulmonaria. (Sussex.)

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,335
    No butterflies but the gnats have been flying and lots of bees about.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 1,084
    Saw a red admiral a couple of days ago, and several bumble bees. Unfortunately found a large bumblebee dead on the lawn. Presume she (?) died of exhaustion  :'(  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    AnniD said:
    Saw a red admiral a couple of days ago, and several bumble bees. Unfortunately found a large bumblebee dead on the lawn. Presume she (?) died of exhaustion  :'(  
    Are you sure he/she is not just out of energy Anni? Try sugar and water mix and pt her somewhere sheltered afterwards  :)
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,211
    I have seen bumble bees several times on odd mild days this year but saw first butterfly on plots yesterday.
    AB Still learning
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 1,084
    edited 17 March
    Hi, Mark, no she was definitely dead, l did try the sugar/water mix,but to no avail  :/ Don't know how long she had been there, could have been quite some time.