Forum home Fruit & veg

Too late to have a bonfire on my veg patch?

The veg patch is currently dormant awaiting weeding and turning over ready for planting - asparagus crowns will be first in (April ish I guess when they arrive) everything else is in seed trays and won't go in for a couple of months yet. 

Just wondering if it's too late in the season to have a bonfire on the veg patch as I have a pile of dry brash and tree cuttings that have been stored over winter for the open fire but the shed is in the process of collapsing and I either need to bonfire it or skip it unfortunately as I won't have any storage much longer. 

Would a bit of wood ash do the veg patch any good or would the heat be more detrimental to any good bugs or microbes?

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,858
    I'd go ahead and have the bonfire ... when it's over spread the ash and fork the site over ... should be fine. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653
    Make sure to check for wildlife.. hibernating hedgehogs, toads etc. Neighbours cats  ;)
  • johnbaronjohnbaron Posts: 75
    They'll have had to have been pretty adventurous it get in to it as it's all in crates several feet off the floor currently! 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,458
    Agree with Dovefromabove