Forum home Fruit & veg

Too late to have a bonfire on my veg patch?

The veg patch is currently dormant awaiting weeding and turning over ready for planting - asparagus crowns will be first in (April ish I guess when they arrive) everything else is in seed trays and won't go in for a couple of months yet. 

Just wondering if it's too late in the season to have a bonfire on the veg patch as I have a pile of dry brash and tree cuttings that have been stored over winter for the open fire but the shed is in the process of collapsing and I either need to bonfire it or skip it unfortunately as I won't have any storage much longer. 

Would a bit of wood ash do the veg patch any good or would the heat be more detrimental to any good bugs or microbes?

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,179
    I'd go ahead and have the bonfire ... when it's over spread the ash and fork the site over ... should be fine. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Make sure to check for wildlife.. hibernating hedgehogs, toads etc. Neighbours cats  ;)
  • johnbaronjohnbaron Posts: 75
    They'll have had to have been pretty adventurous it get in to it as it's all in crates several feet off the floor currently! 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,129
    Agree with Dovefromabove