Website using my garden photo

I was searching through photos of gardens on pinterest for inspiration, and found a photo of my own garden that I took years ago, which i must have posted online somewhere.

Clicking on it revealed that a website is using my photo in an article called 'Fresh and beautiful backyard landscaping ideas'. I can only assume they themselves have simply gathered various images they have found online, possibly even from this very website? I admit to being a little surprised, but I guess I ought to be pleased?

http://wartaku.net/2017/05/11/fresh-beautiful-backyard-landscaping-ideas/fresh-and-beautiful-backyard-landscaping-ideas-31/

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,237
    Fresh and beautiful backyard landscaping ideas 31 is a part of 70 Fresh and Beautiful Backyard Landscaping Ideas pictures gallery. We believe that all of images on Wartaku.net are currated carefuly from public domain, but if one or more images are yours don't be hestitate to contact us..

I lifted this off the website. Why don't you contact them and try to get 50p  :D 
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 855
    I was hoping for nearer to £1  :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,237
    £1 would be even better. It is a beautiful photo. You should be flattered that they picked yours from the squillions out there. I can't think how they missed mine  :D  :/
  • Fif2Fif2 Posts: 68
    You should notify them and ask them to credit you or remove it. Chances are they won't pay you but no harm in asking.  When you post images - anywhere (social media, forums etc.) you should put a watermark (your name/copyright)on it.  It will deter a lot of people using your image(s) but not all. If they see it on the internet then it must be okay to use.  I do stock photography for a large international company and it still happens - people use it even with a watermark until they are found out.
    Im happy that it is being used actually, but it was the last thing I expected to see and was a bit of a shock. Having taken in over a dozen rescue labradors in the recent year or so my lawn is no longer looking quite as nice  :'(
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,438
    Your garden is looking lovely in that photo, but they should have waited for your gorgeous clematis which I saw on another photo and was inspired to buy one for me, think it's Piilu.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 2,528
    As a keen photographer it annoys the hell out of me when images are used without permission (i.e. stolen).  It's difficult to stop but I have managed to get a couple removed in the past by e-mailing and letting them know it's not a public domain image.
    Your garden is looking lovely in that photo, but they should have waited for your gorgeous clematis which I saw on another photo and was inspired to buy one for me, think it's Piilu.
    Well it could have been either my clematis Dr Ruppel or the Piilu that grows over my garage..... Clematis _DSC0329_zpsvnb8isol
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,438
    It was Dr Ruppel, just had a mental blank! Love it.