Forum home Problem solving

Pigeon problem

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
Hi, does anyone have any brilliant ideas to pigeon proof my garden. They are roosting under my solar panels and causing all sorts of problems along with piles of poop all over my patio and garden!! Anyone got any ideas that they've tried that works to get them to go elsewhere?? 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
    Well anything is worth a try as if it continues I won't even be able to enjoy my garden in the summer as they poop everywhere all the time! I did look into mesh around the solar panels but this too is pricey and need to think of alternatives. Thanks for the idea of hawk man. I know there are people nearby that care for birds of prey so will check it out. 
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730
    Do they perch somewhere in particular before they fly under the solar panels? If so, that spot may be easier to pigeon-proof.  I think you're going to have to stop them getting under there at whatever cost unfortunately - ask any farmer about deterring/getting rid of pigeons  :(
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,837
    Can you safely get to your solar panels after dark? If you can scare them away after they have roosted they will go elsewhere it may take 2 or 3 attempts. We had them roosting in a street tree & pooping all over the top of our drive. I used the telescopic pole off from my loppers & rattled the branches to scare them off. If they don't feel safe on a roost they will not use it. A safer method may be to put some netting up, you said mesh was too expensive but black nylon  netting may be cheaper, or even just black threads as again they won't risk getting tangled up.
    AB Still learning

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    The problem with netting or nylon threads is that other birds ... smaller ones ... house sparrows, blackbirds,  robins, blue tits etc ... may become entangled.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,837
    Ah yes I hadn't thought about the smaller birds. Maybe some reflective strips would put them off.
    AB Still learning

Thanks for all your great advice, I have just got quotes for adding the professional mesh under my panels it keeps out the big birds but won't affect or cause harm to smaller birds. It is pricey but less than some other methods that need scaffolding to erect it. I'm just hoping it'll work!! 
    It would be good if you could come back and let us know how you get on with it Claire ... it's the sort of thing that someone else may ask about and it'd be good to have some first hand information  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Will do, I am not sure how it'll work yet but after gaining plenty of quotes over the last year I was shocked to see how expensive this could cost. Some companies quoting as much as £1'500 but have found an ethical company called Renergy based in Leicester. Much much cheaper than all other quotes I gained. I'll keep you posted about the impact or problems once fitted! 
    Thanks Claire ... that'd be great  :)