Forum home Problem solving

Wildlife hedge question

I planted some wildlife hedge whips - mainly hawthorn, blackthorn and possibly some rosa rugosa - a few years ago.  Due to my poor pruning, the hedge is more like a collection of saplings with fairly sparse leaf cover than the thick hedge I was looking for.  If I cut the sapling trunks down to ground level, will they generate new growth from the bottom or will I just be killing the plants if I do this? Thanks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368
    they'll shoot. Blackthorn also suckers
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368
    but I wouldn't go quite to ground level, leave some visible growing points
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,562
    Wait a week or 3 until you see new shoots coming or leaf buds opening then, assuming heavy frosts are not expected, trim the stems back to just above a low shoot or bud and give them a generous handful of pelleted chicken manure per metre.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TopsoiledTopsoiled Posts: 113
    Lay the hedge - it will shoot from the cut and along the trunks. However I suspect it hasn’t had enough water since you planted it, so try mulching and watering and see if that helps. I used horse manure (fresh). Mine was thick after about 2 or 3 years.