Forum home Problem solving

Fungus ID

Morning.  When I moved into this house there was a small (7ft) dead tree in the garden which my husband chopped down.  Yesterday I saw this growing on the stump...
It doesn't seem to match any images I can find of honey fungus but obviously I'm concerned.  Before we start trying to get the stump out does anyone know what sort of fungus this is or can anyone confirm it's not honey fungus (I've never seen honey fungus in real life so I'm useless!).  The fungus is very hard and in one lump, no stalk.  Thanks for any help. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited March 2018
    Looks a little like a young puffball but probably a young bracket fungus of some type.  I would say it's definitely not HF.  An exciting wait ahead - please let us know what happens.  :)
    PS, it is breaking the wood in the stump down for you, so if the stump isn't in the way, I would let it be as several kinds of wildlife feed on fungi and many more on the rotted wood underground.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    I agree with Bob :smile:  Doesn't look like honeyfungus to me either ... my first thought was a bracket fungus. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• turmericturmeric Posts: 825
    Oh fantastic news.  I certainly don't mind leaving it or the stump.  I'll keep an eye on it.  Thanks Bob and Dove.
    Me again.  Having looked at the bracket fungi ours seems quite different.  The bracket fungi are all flat, whereas our fungus is definitely a 'solid lump'.  It's not a puffball.  My husband wondered if it might be a birch polypore?  Are they hard?  We have two silver birch in the garden (don't ask, we didn't plant them!).
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,619
    Birch polypore would be a good guess, also known as razor strop fungus. If the stump is an ex-birch that would add credence.
    This may be helpful.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Er...ok.  Are you having a funny moment Dove?
    edited March 2018
    Oh 'eck    :/   .... http://www.mushroomdiary.co.uk/2011/08/birch-polypore/ 

Sorry ...... busy day yesterday .... confuddled today ....... Thankfully OH is cooking supper :smiley:

Thanks Dove. I'll take a look. I thought you meant that quote about men and shade would be helpful! Have a lovely restful evening.