Forum home Fruit & veg

Chitting potatoes

I have had these potatoes in the window seal for 5-6 weeks now.  Two questions: should I water them a little as they are becoming extreamely shrivelled and dry. Also should I see any growth as the shoots don't appear to have grown since the day I bought them? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320
    They look just fine to me

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320
    you're not the Clinton Rogers from BBC South West, are you?

Devon.
  • MyrtleSMyrtleS Posts: 8
    I think they look fine too. Mine are the same. I've grown some every year for the last 10 years. Don't advise watering them - until they're in the ground at the end of this month/early April, depending on where you live.
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,237
    When I saw the photo I thought "Oh dear they look just like mine" and was quite relieved to hear that they are fine. This is the first time I have attempted to grow potatoes so feel a lot more hopeful.
  • Clinton RogersClinton Rogers Posts: 29
    edited March 2018
    Thanks all for the posts. (I'm not the reporter by the way. Believe me it's not the first time I've heard that. good luck Fran,  don't expect a big crop but its still worth the effort.. They will be the best tasting potatoes ever I'm sure.. 
    Thanks again all.. 
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,237
    Will let you know in the months to come!
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,134
    Agree with others they look fine , don’t water them 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,846
    Do not water them but if you can move them to a cooler room. If they are on a window sill & getting direct sun that will make them shrivel. It will be a while yet before it is safe to put them in the ground.
    AB Still learning

• Yes good advice, I will do. Thanks..