Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird box with wireless camera

I would like to get one of these for my husband's birthday. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do you need mains power for the camera? 

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    I bought a camera from a company called spycameraCCTV (via Amazon) a couple of years ago. It does work on mains power but you can also buy a battery pack. It works fine for me - in my set up the camera is quite close to the receiver so I'm not sure how good a range it has. The camera I have doesn't seem to be available anymore but there are similar ones.

Now I just need the birds to be kind enough to nest in it! I did have a blue tit roost there overnight the winter before last but it didn't nest there. They only choose to nest in my non-camera boxes...
  • I have had a camera box on my wall for four years now. It must be in the wrong place because although we have tits and other birds aplenty, none have ever set up home in it. However, we do get the occasional spider lurking, which can be fascinating. Each year I tell myself to have the box resisted but haven’t done it yet. But definitely this year🤓
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    Each year I tell myself to have the box resisted but haven’t done it yet. But definitely this year🤓
    Do it NOW! while it is in your head!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • The blue tits nested in our bird box every year until we put a camera in. Thy have not used the box since. Ar they telling us something?