Welcome to the new forum

NoraGWNoraGW Posts: 463 admin
Hello everyone,

Thank you for bearing with us over the past week, while we migrated the old forum to this new platform. I hope I find you all well, and that the bad weather has passed for most of you.

Here's a summary of the changes you'll see on the new forum. Don't forget to check out the help guides if you need assistance with using the forum. Once you've read them, and you're comfortable with the forum, you can dismiss the 'Announcements' by clicking the cog which appears to the right of the thread title, and then clicking 'Dismiss'.

If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me by private message, or by emailing website@gardenersworld.com.

New and improved features

We’ve added lots of new features to the forum, and improved the reliability of some existing features. Click the text highlighted in purple to go directly to their associated help threads. 

New features

Accessibility

You can now toggle your text-editing box between a white and black background colour for easier viewing and typing.

Drafts

Save your new threads and comments as drafts, to finish later. Your posts will automatically save every one minute, which is very useful if, for example, your device has frozen. You’ll find your drafts in the menu on the right-hand side of your screen.

Extended text editor

There are extra options within the text editor when you create a post. You can add a video or a social media snapshot to your post, format your text to be centre- or right-aligned, add a strikethrough, create headings, add bullet points and numbering, or even notify of a spoiler.

Polls

Create polls, and add as many options as you wish. The author can choose whether poll voters are anonymous or not. This is a brilliant new feature - a real conversation starter that will enable you to have a bit of fun with fellow forum members. From voting on favourites to would-you-rathers, there’s plenty of scope. NOTE: the ability to upload a photo from a file is currently not available - this should be with you in April.

Preview

You can preview your post before publishing it. You’ll see the option to preview at the point of creating a post.

Search

Search through historic forum threads to find a particular thread, or to check your query hasn't already been answered elsewhere.

Signatures

Add a signature that will automatically appear beneath every post you make. You can opt to turn other people’s signatures off completely, or strip out any images, to help with loading time and scrolling - this can be done in your personal settings. NOTE: the ability to upload a photo from a file is currently not available - this should be with you in April.

Tagging

Tag others in your post by writing @, followed by their username. If the person you have tagged has turned on notifications, they will get a notification that you have tagged them.

Thread memory

We’ve introduced a new thread memory feature. This means that when you’ve left the forum and return at a later point, you’ll automatically be taken to your last read post, rather than having to scroll through pages to find the last post you read.

Improved features

Announcements

Sticky threads are now called Announcements. These are set by moderators and admins, for the purpose of getting important messages to all forum members, e.g. to alert you of technical problems, or to call in participation for magazine or website content. You are able to dismiss these messages once they have been read. To dismiss them, click the cog icon on the right hand side, and then click Dismiss.

Bookmarks

Followed threads are now called Bookmarks. You’ll find your bookmarks via the menu on the right-hand side of the screen, and also by clicking the star icon in the top right corner of the screen.

Edit

Having listened to your feedback, we’ve increased the time you have to edit your posts from five minutes to one hour. There will be no automated text beneath your edit to notify others of your edit. You can edit your post by clicking the 'Edit' button, which appears in the bottom left-hand corner of your post.

Notifications

You now have the option to receive email or pop-up (on screen) notifications, with additional options for the frequency of notifications. Find out how to tailor these.

Picture uploads

We listened to your feedback with regards reliability of the old picture uploader, which had a (temperamental) upper limit of 5MB. We’re pleased to present you with a new picture uploader, that allows a file size of up to 25MB. Find out how to upload pictures.

Profile pictures

You’ll now be able to upload a picture or select an avatar from any device without a problem. You can do this within your profile settings.

Quotes

Quotes have now been significantly reduced in size. We have a new quote folding feature, which will enable you to choose how many quotes you’d like to appear at once, moving the rest into a collapsible list. You can set your preferences for this in your personal settings.

• B3B3 Posts: 5,682
    Hi Nora
    Can't work out how to get to latest post.
    Using a kindle
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NoraGWNoraGW Posts: 463 admin
    Hi @B3, at the top of the page, do you see three lines in the right-hand corner, or can you see 'Categories' and 'Discussions'?
    Hi again
    What I meant was,when I get onto a thread, it seems to start at the beginning rather than the last post on that thread.
    I'm having to wade trough stuff that's weeks old.
    Ah I see. To get to the last page on the forum, you have to scroll down to the end of the thread to the pagination, and click on the highest number, which is the last page. You won't have to keep doing this on the same thread - we have introduced the 'thread memory' feature, so you will automatically be taken to the last read post when you revisit.
    Thanks Norah
    It's a bit of a pain with the long threads at the moment but I'm sure it'll sort itself out once I start looking at new threads
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,339
    This all looks wonderful Nora  :D.
    Just wondering: if I 'dismiss' an announcement thread so it's not sticky for me any more, does it still appear in 'Recent Discussions' if someone adds to it? (Hope that makes sense)
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    That's good to hear! 
    Yes it will still appear in Recent discussions if a new post is made. 

Quick update for those who have made it here:

We have decided to launch the forum tomorrow instead, as we've encountered some delays - so you should see more liveliness tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,211
    Thanks Nora and the team ............ this is going to be great ............  <3 :D
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,339
    Hello Nora,
    Is there any chance of the 'Closed' message being edited to include the new forum address? Even if it's not a hyperlink it'll mean that people know the new one is up and running, whichever page they're trying to get to. Just an idea...
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,445
    Hello everyone.  Pleased to be here again.   Hope it all works well.   Typically, it is sunny today so I shall be out gardening for a while and will play here later.
    The Vendée, France
This discussion has been closed.