How to upload a picture, or embed other media

How to upload a picture, or embed social media and video

From this thread you can learn how to:

• Upload a picture from a file on your device
  • Upload a picture from a website URL (desktop only)
  • Upload a picture by dragging and dropping
  • Embed social media content from Instagram or Twitter 
  • Embed video from YouTube or Vimeo

1. Attaching a file from your device

Once you’ve started a new discussion, you’ll see the option to add a picture to your post within the text editor - you just need to click the image icon, as indicated below.

Click the white Choose Files button. This will bring up the personal files stored on your device. Find the image you’d like to upload, within your personal image folders, and then click Open.

When you’ve clicked that, the image will appear in the text box - the larger the file, the longer it will take to upload. Once it has loaded, click anywhere in the text box to begin typing; it may help to press Enter on your keyboard once or twice, to clearly separate the text from the image.

Once you’re happy with what you’ve written, you can either Save draft to come back to later, or you can Preview it to see what it will look like before you post it. To post it straightaway, click Post discussion.

2. Uploading a picture from a website (desktop only*)

If for example, you’ve seen something you like the look of online, but don’t want to save the image to your device, you could simply input its website address into the URL field, which can be found via the image icon as can be seen above. Please credit the photographer (if known), and the website from which the image came when you write your post.

When you’ve found an image, you’ll first need to right-click it and choose the option to copy the image address, or equivalent. If you can’t see this option, you could also right-click the image, and choose to open it in a new tab or window. When the new page loads, you can then copy the website address from the address bar. Then, paste the address into the URL field on the forum.

When you've done that, the image should then load into the text editing box.

3. Dragging and dropping an image (desktop only)

On a desktop computer, it is also possible to drag and drop an image. You’ll need to have two windows visible on your screen: the forum window with the text editor in view, and the website which is hosting the image. 

Simply left-click the image and hold it down, not releasing the clicker. Then, drag it across your screen to the text-editing box on the forum. You should see a dotted line appear around the text editor. Then, release the clicker. Please credit the photographer (if known), and the website from which the image came when you write your post.

4. Embedding social media content

If, for example, you have seen something you want to share from a social media platform, you could copy its website address (URL), and then paste it directly into the text editor. We have found this works well with Instagram and Twitter - see our example below.

5. Embedding video from YouTube or Vimeo

In the same way as the above method, you can embed video into your post from YouTube or Vimeo. All you need to do is copy the website address (URL) directly into the text editor. When you post it, you should then see the video on the forum, as below. If your video doesn't play, it'll be because the content creator has disabled embedding.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 3,499
    Having trouble posting photos, could be my device, need to have a tinker with it.

Trying out a YouTube video by copy & paste...

• NoraGWNoraGW Posts: 396
    Hi @Kitty 2, what kind of trouble have you been having with posting photos?
    Hi @NoraGW.  My files aren't showing up, I get a blank white page with the spinning thing in it.
    Might try attatching a pic in an email to you to see if it's a problem with my device or forum uploads.
    If you don't mind?
    @Kitty 2 thanks - there isn't anything wrong with your image file. After you press the image icon on the toolbar, do you see this box?

Yes @NoraGW. I tap the mountain, then the "choose files" box.  The problem is, my files don't appear.

I had no problems putting a pic in the e-mail I've just sent. I sent it as a reply to the one from the other day about the launch delay.
    @Kitty 2 - Hmm...  Please could you send me your support details again via this link: -  and I'll take a look.
    Ok @NoraGW.  Done it 👍 ( I think? )
    Thanks for sending those through @Kitty 2 - it's hard to say what's going wrong. It could be that you're running a discontinued version of Chrome, so it'd be worth updating it to the latest version via the app store, or equivalent, on your device. You could also try clearing your cache and cookies which tends to resolve many problems. From your device, you'll need to go to your settings, and then app settings, and then find Chrome, and then find an option to clear cache and cookies, or temporary internet files, which they are sometimes referred to. Let me know if either of those solutions work...
    Have had a good old spring clean, cleared cookies and cache, shunted stuff off into the cloud, checked out updates (which are automatic) latest was yesterday the 8th, tried switching it off & on again....
    Still not working 😕

Think I'll leave it for now @NoraGW and try again another day, it's sending me dizzy 😵.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions. 

• MrsGlazeMrsGlaze EssexPosts: 73
    @NoraGW Hello Nora, i'm having the same trouble loading a photo with the endless spinning thing, as previously mentioned by Kitty 2 except i am using a kindle fire do you have any advice about what i can do please? 

@MrsGlaze - could you email me the image you're trying to upload please? To
    Hi @Kitty 2, @MrsGlaze - interestingly both of your operating systems are Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. It's quite an old operating system now, so it would be worth checking if you have a software update available for your device. You can do this from within your device's general settings. I'll also check that there isn't anything wrong from our end.
    Hi @NoraGW thank you for all your help. So that i could post my question about the lemon tree, i was able to insert the photo using my computer instead. I will check for any updates on the kindle software as it is easier for me to use. Many thanks

Hi @NoraGW. I have just checked for system updates.

My kindle is running Fire OS
    Installed 18 January 2018.

Can't see any further updates available 😞
    Will e-mail you a screenshot.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,918
    I could see the photos on the Forum when I was in England with good Internet. Now I'm back in France and the photo gallery photos are just little crosses. My Internet is very slow here but I could see photos on the old Forum. Are the photos bigger on this Forum?
  • Hazel -1Hazel -1 Posts: 4,585
    Have tried opening the new Garden pics thread tonight and the pics only open to about a quarter of an inch and then get stuck. On other threads they come out massive. I'm on ipad. Most odd.
  • LGLG gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,140
    Yes BL, they're bigger (or can be):

^ Can you see that? It's a screenshot from Nora's welcome thread, saying that pics used to be 5MB and can now be up to 25MB. So people will have a lot less trouble getting them to upload, won't have to resize so much etc. But they also take longer to come in.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” - Stephen Hawking
    Hi @NoraGW I checked my system updates and I have the same as Kitty 2 said:

My kindle is running Fire OS
    Installed 23 January 2018.

Thank you.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,918

:'(  Oh crikey, 25MB is huge. I probably won't be able to enjoy the Garden Gallery anymore. My own photos are mostly between 1 and 2MB.

And another thing, when I post smileys they always go to the beginning of my post. Why?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,055
    Drag and drop, never done that before. looks an OK size before posting