Forum home The potting shed

An explanation of quote folding

13»

• Have I missed something? (entirely possible!) The folding quotes post from GW-team looks entirely genuine. No ads or spam appeared. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,083
    All spam is deleted promptly @flowbench.rob … so it’s a total waste of spammers’ time to spam on this forum. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,273
    If you dont mind my asking, Dove, does your subsequent post which includes his name also get deleted? Or is it there for anyone to click on (which is what the spammer wants I presume.)
    I ask because I pointed out to a member just recently that by addessing the spammer by name she had inadvertently put him back onto the forum. 
    If the idea of flagging is to delete spam, why address the spammer who probaby won't see your post but will no doubt be pleased to see his name reinstated if he does?
    Perhaps you have a go at the spammer then delete your mention of them? Is that how it works?
    I just clicked on the spammer's name in your post and see it doesn't lead to a site, so I may have answered my own question!
    But when the name is a company name it would perhaps be deemed to be advertising?
    As in for example "Go away Spamchamp .co .uk. Theres no free advertising on here."  sort of thing? 
    I always flag spam when I see it so would be interested.
    edited October 2022
    No @Woodgreen :)  subsequent posts don't get deleted along with the spam ... unless the spammer has actually created a new thread and then the whole thread gets deleted.  

This is why I checked the poster's name to see if it leads to a commercial site before I responded to him ... and as you say, it looks like a perfectly innocuous query from a new poster.  

:) 

Of course, there are some spammers who start off by posting innocent looking posts/threads and then return to them to insert or add spam ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you Dove.
    I shall keep on flagging!

• So if I am to understand it, you were talking about a spam post that was not visible to me, having been removed? And the quote folding post was nothing to do with it - it just happened to catch my eye...
    I literally had just registered, funnily enough, in order to post about a plant :) but when I logged in the 1st thing that appeared on my screen was this thread. I shall now withdraw gracefully!
    Yes @flowbench.rob … and welcome to the forum by the way 😊 … because the ‘How to’ threads are at the top of the site they’re frequently targeted by spammers, or spamming programmes.

Regular posters try to keep the board clear of spam by flagging suspicious posts … five flags and the post is sent to the Mods for a decision. 

The How To threads can be ‘dismissed’ (once you’ve got your head around them) by clicking on the star at top right. 

To post about a plant just click on 
    New Discussion … hopefully we’ll be able to answer your query. 

Photos sometimes load sideways … reducing the size a bit usually solves that problem. 

Any other difficulties just shout 😉