Forum home The potting shed

Hello Forkers March 2018

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Obelixx, hope you get over your tummy bug. Will the new flower beds involve OH in digging up turf?
    I need some oomph to get me going. A bit of sunshine would help but, apart from tomorrow, the forecast is rain for next week.
    SW Scotland
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,997

Hello all.

Raining, cold. Went out to feed the horses and pick daffodils, cowslips and forsythia for church tomorrow, got soaked, despite my mac. The poor daffodils are nearly over but they have had a battering by the weather. 4° midday but it's 13° in the GH. Have small heater, heated mat on a shelf, heated propagators and a sand bed heated by a cable.

I suppose it will have to be a hous....k and sheet changing day. Also making Tandoori chicken and crispy salad for tomorrow's bring and share lunch after church.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,244
    Yes Joyce.  I have a back so don't dig except holes for planting.  He has a machine that does the initial work and then we pile on loads of compost.   He will, of course, think he should spend his time cutting grass and making new veggie beds but I think we need flower beds for pollinators too.  His team lost their golf competition on Thursday so I get him for 2 extra days this week.

No point going out and getting soaked is there?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Obs, my SIL has a battle between garden and golf course with her OH since he retired so make use of your's when you can.
    SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,244
    edited March 2018
    I do Joyce.  Happy for him to go out to play but only 2 days a week.   He's already had 2 days this week and is playing all day tomorrow and then has the prize giving at 6:30pm!  Definitely mine for the rest of the week and if it's too wet to garden he can wield the sander on some of the old beds I've bought to make raised beds in the potager - one for strawberries, one for asparagus to start with.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Logan4 said:
    Hostafan1 said:

Hosta, I guess Monty's digging up the bay trees because his garden is on show, and therefore expected to look reasonable... if they were mine I'd leave them.  The bay cone definitely still had a lot of green at the base.

I wish he'd dig up those god awful box hedges which have box blight. He's nursed those , in situ, for years with no improvement.
    He did dig up some of the box hedging last year.
    He dug up the balls in the courtyard, but he seems to have miles of blighted box still there.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,598
    Hello all  :)
    We're back from visiting Wonky ... we called in at the big farm shop on the way and picked up sausages, chicken and veggies for Wonky and her Lovely Hub, pasties for lunch, and a rolled shoulder of lamb, leeks, purple sprouting broccoli, sausages, mushrooms, slices of white pudding, bacon, pork chops etc etc etc for us ... all at very reasonable prices for such good quality.  

As she said, Wonky had sunshine when we set off but by the time we got there it was tipping down and it's been the same all the way home ... overflowing rivers, lots of soggy birds on hedgerows, soggy horses in soggy fields, and cars and vans spraying vast swathes of water from huge puddles at the side of the roads. Thankfully most lorry drivers seem to have had today off D 

Now to see what's been going on here .....
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Tosca was wonderful.
    The drive to and from Plymouth went well too.
    Tomorrow I MUST do some gardening.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,598
    Glad you enjoyed it Hosta  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Glad you enjoyed it Hosta  :D
    my only disappointment was the soprano was not Claire Rutter as I'd hoped, but her stand in was  very acceptable.
    Devon.