Forum home The potting shed

Hello Forkers March 2018

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,682
    @Hampshire Hog, what did you want to know about polytunnels? I suspect mine are bigger than would be allowed on an allotment, but if I can give advice, I'd be happy to.
    Devon.
    Hosta hugs to you @WonkyWomble. I'm so pleased things have taken a positive turn for you. x
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,487
    Hosta ... I was awake on and off from 2 - 4 ... I was too warm ... don't suppose you had that problem?  ;)

Right, setting sail southwards to Wonky's place where apparently she has sunshine!  We have hot cross buns and rhubarb ......... see you later folks ... have a good day  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,872
    Good morning everyone!

My cousin might see photos of your cousin, Pat... he's a Land Rover enthusiast.  It runs in the family - my uncle had one of the old sort with lengthwise bench seats in the back.  It was ages old but very reliable, until a cow sat on the bonnet.   :o

Slow-roast lamb here too, today though rather than tomorrow, because we're off to York to spend the day with son, DIL and new(ish) grandson.  Making some double choc chip cookies for DIL later today cos they're her favourite.   :)

Hosta, I guess Monty's digging up the bay trees because his garden is on show, and therefore expected to look reasonable... if they were mine I'd leave them.  The bay cone definitely still had a lot of green at the base.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

Hosta, I guess Monty's digging up the bay trees because his garden is on show, and therefore expected to look reasonable... if they were mine I'd leave them.  The bay cone definitely still had a lot of green at the base.

I wish he'd dig up those god awful box hedges which have box blight. He's nursed those , in situ, for years with no improvement.
    Devon.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,868
    I’m guessing it looks something like this little beauty .....

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,305
    Hostafan1 said:

I wish he'd dig up those god awful box hedges which have box blight. He's nursed those , in situ, for years with no improvement.
    He did dig up some of the box hedging last year.
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 8,741
    Here you go 

S. E. NSW
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,985
    I like the idea of a Land Rover but fear they will be a bit hard on the bounce.  That's not too bad for a yellow vehicle.   We were driving to dance class on Thursday when I was taken by the sight of a huge, bright yellow, old-fashioned drop handle bar bicycle on the roundabout as we enter La Roche-s-Y.  Further round on the inner ring there was a fluo yellow Renault 4 with 4 racing bikes on top.  At the last roundabout they have installed a huge bike lying on its side and sort of growing out of the grass.  Early signs of the Tour de France which passes this way this year.  Too much yellow for me.  

It's sunny at the mo but I've been lying in bed reading and getting over the last of a bug which gave me headaches and then tummy trouble which hit with a vengeance yesterday pm.   About to do a fairly full English brunch which will sort out any dregs of bugs and then head out to plant potatoes.

I gave up weeding a couple of weeks ago Chicky just because the roots were coming up with bucket loads of soil I couldn't shake off.   Supposed to be dryish later this week so I can get cracking again.   Seed sowing meanwhile which includes planting the seeds of an idea for new flower beds in OH's mind.   Gently does it.

HH - we have an 8 x 4m polytunnel because they're better value than a greenhouse in terms of square metre per euro.   We have it sited where it's sheltered from the strongest prevailing winds but after the winter gales blew off the green netting we'll be investing in ropes to hold it all together.  Empty at the mo but it will one day be full of babies and treasures that need more heat and humidity than they'd get outside and over wintering citrus and other potted plants.

Hosta - enjoy Tosca.  

Yvie - how wonderful and how do you resist filling your garden?

Dove, Wonky, Liri - have a great time visiting.   So pleased the new job is working out well WW.  Now we just need one for Clari.

Hugs Pdoc, if you pop in.

Have a great day everyone.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,966
    Morning Hosta  :) thank you xx  I was thinking that you are the perfect person to advise on polytunnels for Hampshire Hog! Our sunshine has gone now, think Dove brought the clouds with her! She's on her way and now its about to rain! better get the kettle on!