Forum home The potting shed

Do you keep a garden diary?

A few hours left until our vacation. ;)

I just bought a 10 year diary so I can optimize when to plant every year. I will logg temperatures, weather etc. Why i'm doing this is that i'm not well, yet not dying (and hopefully I will live a long life) but it has made me aware of how short life can be and I want the next person that lives here to know what plants are where, why I put them there and when to plant, so they don't have to start from scratch as I did. 

Do you keep a garden diary and why? What do you write in it?

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,674

I keep a diary.  I keep track of what jobs I do in the garden and when.  I also note down the weather but only on the days I work out there.  It's quite interesting to see if I'm on track with everything.  I also keep tabs on whats planted where on a spreadsheet but that's mainly so I don't dig up the perennials by mistake.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Yes, I will keep a map of the garden to. :)

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 776

I got a RHS 5 year garden diary for my birthday in January. Never kept one before and I update it each week........ in pencil as someone else suggested in another similar thread. Just the weather, what plants are in flower and seeds sown and progress reported so far. I’m sure in the next few months I will run out of space to enter everything.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• What a good idea! I've smothered the spaces in my gardening books with scribblings,how I wish I'd used a proper diary!?

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • cagzo says:

What a good idea! I've smothered the spaces in my gardening books with scribblings,how I wish I'd used a proper diary!?

See original post

Then start one. :) 

• Bright star says:

I got a RHS 5 year garden diary for my birthday in January. Never kept one before and I update it each week........ in pencil as someone else suggested in another similar thread. Just the weather, what plants are in flower and seeds sown and progress reported so far. I’m sure in the next few months I will run out of space to enter everything.

See original post

Why pencil? 

So I can correct my many mistakes?

• Fire Lily I'm definitely getting one!  What started as just a few notes i.e. plants and where I'd planted them,names of Fuschias and various others,at a time when I didn't have a lot of interest or time to spend in the garden,has now developed into a bit of a passion!!

I deserve a diary!???????

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.

And a pencil with an eraser ?

• Why erasers? Misstakes are so important  to learn from.