Forum home The potting shed

COLD !...What cold ?

Suppose we ought to be thankful really ; parts of Siberia today reached the dizzy heights of  -41C !

Last year they managed to attain a 'coolish'  -67C .

I'll be thinking how lucky I am tomorrow working outdoors image

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

A thick jacket and a woolly hat!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,270

Dry cold is far easier to live with than wet cold which is what the UK usually gets.  If you know it's coming every year you are prepared with the right clothes, the right heating, the right tyres and road clearing and so on.

I don't like this penetrating cold and it will be damaging plants that aren't protected by a snow blanket but, when all's said and done, it's better than wet, sludgy stuff as long as you don't have to try and get to work in it..

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031

Ski-ing in Austria many years ago, it was so cold my earrings were feeling like needles. I took my gloves off to remove them and the skis fell against my face and stuck, friend ended up in hospital with ruptured knee, cable on chairlift snapped sending me ass over into a small barn, and on return the Red Cross had to be called out to the Airport as there were so many stranded from the snow and no hot food/drinks to be had.

Never really enjoyed snow ski-ing since. image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,270

I had bad experiences in Austria too and it doesn't help that I don't speak or understand German.

Ever since then we skied in France and then, with Possum, Livigno with friends for a few years.  Much better food too!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw