what's wrong with my lavender standard?

bought both in December from Aldi. One is the icing and the other has been a sad sight fi

• one is fine. The other isn't. Both in original pots. Watered.not fed. Inside but lots of light ..

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,971

Over watering, under watering, draught, too much heat, not enough light?

Have to ask why anyone would do that to lavender.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273

I WOULD TAKE THE UNHAPPY ONE OUT OF ITS POT AND HAVE A LOOK AT THE ROOTS.

ARE THEY BLACK AND ROTTEN? BAD DRAINAGE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Most lavenders are shrubby plants - not really designed to grow as per the OP's pics.

French ( or even Spanish ? ) lavender - stoechas I think - tends not to be as hardy or as long lived  in the average UK climate.

Whichever you choose to grow, they are really fairly short lived perennials.  Some will go on for donkeys years if you keep them pruned and well rooted.  Paying for "standard" Lavenders, like so much else these days, is simply a gimmick and designed to make you part with a bit more cash than necessary.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,230

Your lavenders are not getting enough passing air. Even though it is not totally hardy, it's better off outdoors on a warm sunny doorway or inside a cool greenhouse/cold-frame. I'm assuming the pots have no holes either which will mean water collecting at the base. 

• I think over-watering and no proper drainage is also problem here.Try to relocate at some sunny place at your home. 

Last edited: 28 February 2018 10:03:54

• thanks for all the advice..the roots were a bit smelly and damp so I'm going to dry it out and relocate to a sunny windowsill and hope it recovers

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,875
    they should really be outside in a cold greenhouse or even fully outside in a sunny sheltered spot, not indoors.