Forum home Problem solving

Garden Kneeler Prototype (New Design)

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,559

I was laughing out loud at pansyface's first response.  Glad I'm sat at home on my own and not reading in the local coffee shop!.

I know it's a prototype but the hand grips would need to be rounded.  Knee pad, as somebody else mentioned, needs to be firm.  It seems counter intuitive but I find I can kneel for longer periods on a firmer pad, like the green pad shown on the other kneeler in the photo.

My main concerns would be the the whole thing seems very bulky, and the need to remove the harness every time you want to shift along the border a bit.

There does seem to have been a lot of thought put into designing a product to address a need rather then dreaming up a product and trying to find a use for it.  Well done.

• Thank you KT53! My justification for the unit being difficult to move along the flower bed was that, using the harness, the user can garden further away from the kneeler, hence covering a larger area and being able to stay in one place for longer.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,578

Good thinking - as long as they can be free of those uprights.

Have you observed several gardeners working on their knees or just the one?   I don't know any that do it in one line from their kneeling position.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Obelixx, I work in an arc from a kneeling position which is probably what most people do.

SW Scotland

Me too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The elastic allows the user to lean forwards (as in the picture below), going past the handles and allowing them to garden in an arc wider than usual

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

I am really impressed by the thought you're putting into this Dylan.

We often get design queries from students on degree courses who don't put as much thought and understanding or technical ability into their project as you have ... very impressed with your work ... congratulations! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I agree Dove and Dylan also takes the time to respond to any comments.

SW Scotland

Yes - good performance and initiative all round.  Hope your teacher is impressed too.   Maybe show them these comments?

• Thank you very much guys, your feedback has been very useful, will do!