Forum home The potting shed

Potted Cypress advise required

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if any of my terminology is incorrect.

I am looking to buy 6 cypress trees.

I intend them to be potted and they will be placed inline with a fence where they can be lashed for stability if required.

I do not want the trees to grow more than 2-3 meters in height So I am considering the 'tiny tower' cultivar etc.

Do you have any other suggestions?

The location of the garden will be in Glasgow, Scotland, (for weather reference).

Also, can you advise as to the type and size of pot?

I like the look of traditional terracotta but obviously plastic is lighter, aiding moveability if required.

I have read that the cypress trees will require root pruning. Is there a specific pot aimed at making this easier or is it just a case of lifting the tree out of the pot, doing the pruning and returning to the pot?

Many thanks in advance of your answers.

Regards

J.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

Are you looking for tall columnar trees rather than a 'bushy' one? If so, Juniper Skyrocket may suit. It is fairly slow growing. 

You will probably have to pot them on over the years until they reach your required height so I would use the cheaper plastic pots until then. When you buy them from the nursery I would pot them on into a pot that is only 1 or 2 sizes bigger than the one they came in and then pot them on probably every year until you reach the size you want. You will have to be very careful with the watering - don't think they will be very forgiving if they get too dry too often.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • My gardners world login failed so I have set up a new acc.

Hi Hogweed, thank you for your response, I will take the repotting aspect into concideration.

Yes I am looking for tall and thin trees, reaching upwards rather than bushy.

What would happen if I put the new trees into a significantly larger pot than the pots they come in?

J.

Last edited: 28 February 2018 11:39:26

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460

Be sure to use an appropriate potting medium ... I would use John Innes No 3 loam based potting compost with some added horticultural grit to improve the drainage.

Multi-purpose compost will not be suitable. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh