Forum home Problem solving

Prototype 2 in 1 Wheel barrow

Hi all,

For one of my A levels I have researched, designed and built a prototype version of my final product, which is a 2 in 1 wheelbarrow and sack trolley. The main thinking behind the project is that most people own a wheel barrow, however a sack trolley is much better for moving things like heavy clay pots and other heavy items, especially if the user suffers from back pains or any other ailment which will stop them from picking heavy things up from floor. I have attached some images of the project for you guys to review if you wish. The large hinge is locked using a threaded hand screw, and it takes about 20 seconds to change it from sack trolley to wheelbarrow positioning. the sides of the wheelbarrow lock securely once they have been lifted up, and can be released by lifting the smaller bar. The volume of the barrow is about 3/5 of the capacity of a normal wheelbarrow. If you have any questions please ask, thank you very much and your feedback is very much appreciated!                         imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,688

I LIKE IT.image

IS THE PLASTIC EVENTUALLY GOING TO BE SOMETHING STRONGER? MAYBE LIKE THAT WOVEN FABRIC THAT BUILDERS’ BAGS ARE MADE OF?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,042

Looks good so far but, like Pansy, I'd worry about the strength of the plastic.  Not worried about the 3/5th capacity of the barrow but it does look low down for a person with back trouble.  We don't bend low so well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,716

I really like the idea ... I have the same thoughts as the previous posters, but otherwise am really impressed. It's the sort of thing I'd be interested in buying if its manufacture quality was good. 

Last edited: 26 February 2018 23:02:25

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I don't think it would take too many tweaks to make that into something very useful indeed.

Well done for coming up with something and not producing a dopey, useless questionaire that most students manage.

Clearly there was a lot of thought that went into it and judging by your surroudings, someone isn't afraid to get their hands dirty! image  Nice garden! image

• stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127

Very innovative. Wheelbarrows always seem to be in the way somehow, but this is compact. Wouldn't mix cement in it mind. image

• Well done, I think this looks really handy. I have a sack truck because I inherited one when I bought my house, but otherwise I wouldn't have one and I wouldn't realise how useful they are. I later bought a wheelbarrow because there are some jobs that are much better suited to a wheelbarrow, but I like the idea of something like this that could be used for both.

I mainly use my sack truck for moving bags of compost etc (usually from my car to my back garden). The wheelbarrow is mainly for emptying my compost bin (I store the finished compost in it until I can use it), collecting leaves, storing grass cuttings if my compost bin is full, collecting garden waste to then take it to the compost bin, holding/mixing a lawn top dressing to then distribute in on the lawn etc.

For some of those applications (especially the ones with compost and the top dressing) may be too heavy duty for the device you've made, which is a shame. To broaden its utility as a wheelbarrow, I would like to see the sides made out of metal. It might be good if they were detachable so you didn't limit what could be carried when it's a sack truck.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,088

The basic concept of what you are doing isn't new.  I have a sack truck which converts into a trolley and is ideal for carrying several bags of compost at one time.  I haven't seen anything which adds the wheelbarrow box before.

A couple of observations.

1.  In the current design the user has to pull up on the handles, which isn't a great problem when it's full of leaves but could be if loaded with heavier material.  Additional wheel on the rear leg might help with manoueverability.

2.  The single leg at the rear is pointing directly at the person pushing.  Catch than on a leg or knee and it will hurt!  Adding a hinge to be able to drop it out of the way when using as a sack truck would help.

3. The wheelbarrow box does need to be metal or heavy duty plastic and ideally removable.

I agree with what others have said, it does have potential.

• The framework needs significant engineering to make it strong enough to last. People using barrows and sack trolleys use them for heavy things. They could be used for lugging 80kg over lumpy ground again and again. Build it stronger than you imagine it needs to be, and it might be strong enough!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,776

pp says 

"I don't think it would take too many tweaks to make that into something very useful indeed."

I concur. 

You describe it as a "prototype" so you know more work needs to be done. Keep us up to date with updates.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,776

Just a thought: could the " sides" of the wheelbarrow be designed in metal, but be able to fold flat against the handles when in sack truck mode?

I agree the handles need to be higher in wheelbarrow mode for the taller gardener. ( and those of us with bad backs )

Devon.