Forum home The potting shed

What are you going to do when you're not doing this?

The outage will begin this Thursday 1 March, 2018. The new forum will be with you by Wednesday 7 March, 2018. The forum will remain as a read-only site during this time, but you won’t be able to make any new threads or posts.

What does everyone have planned for the big "cold turkey" from the forum?

Seed sowing? Greenhouse cleaning? Snow shovelling? Compost turning? Sulking? Shaking and sweating and mumbling to yourself? image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I'm already sulking because it's too frozen to garden.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,233

Our forecast has changed and the snow forecast for all day Thursday is now snow in the small hours and a bit of rain after sunrise and temps up to 10C.    Assuming that happens I'll be sowing, weeding and planting.   

If they're wrong and it's still cold I shall be sewing and, just maybe, cleaning windows.   They all look filthy in the bright sun we've had today after getting a year's supply of rainfall in just 2 months.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Yes that's the problem Nut. I'm afraid we'll all be reduced to doing c**ppy chores. image 

• I'll be joining you in the sewing room Obes. I have so many plans for projects and yes I'm ashamed to say...my bedroom curtains have no hems!  image

Then there's the green on the gable wall and on the path if the weather holds....

10°C? That's shorts weather here!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    plant pauper says:

Yes that's the problem Nut. I'm afraid we'll all be reduced to doing c**ppy chores. image 

See original post

I hate H/W

there's half a shirt I could finish sewing but it's so long since I started it I can't remember what it looks like

• Nut! image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,233

Don't like living in a tip so HW is a necessity that's best done quick we you can go on to more rewarding activities.

Set to get to -5C tonight but feel like -14C cos it's blowing a hooly out there so if we do get 10C on Thursday it will feel positively tropical by comparison.   Both cats and both dogs are luxuriating in the warmth of  a log fire and no-one wants to go out.    

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499

I SHALL GO OVER TO MY PATIENT.INFO FORUM AND TRY TO LURE THEM AWAY FROM THEIR ENDLESS BLOOD COUNTS BY TALKING ABOUT THE FLOWERS OF THE FIELD.

THAT SHOULD TAKE ABOUT FIVE MINUTES. THEY’RE A FAIRLY SINGLE-MINDED SORT OF LOT.

OR I COULD BUTTER THE CATS’ BOILS.

OR I SHALL STAND AND STARE IN THE MIRROR AT MY INEFFABLE BEAUTY.

DO THOSE SPECS LOOK LIKE THEY WERE WORTH £695 , NOT INCLUDING THE FRAMES - (MODEL’S OWN)?

Last edited: 26 February 2018 21:32:46

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Probably read through old threads like Garden Gallery from 2012/13/14 and get inspiration for the Summer. Wonderful pictures from members both old & current. 

Last edited: 26 February 2018 21:49:47

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Depends on the weather but it doesn't look as though much will get done outside.

I could organise garden tools, pots, trays compost etc in the basement ready for the new season but I suspect much time will be spent reading.

SW Scotland