vertical strawberries

stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127

So much stuff online about how to make your own vertical growing system, but I wonder how successful they really are. I suspect that guttering dries out too quickly in hot weather, and that the towers based on a central watering pipe may not distribute the water evenly unless the holes are carefully positioned and decreased as you go down. Gets quite technical all that I imagine.

Stacking crates sound like the best bet but I reckon you would have to water them individually. A 20L crate would probably weigh at least 20kg, which is about all I want to lift at waist height.

Anyone got any experience in this area? Talk me out of it if you wish image

• It's quite easy, the vertical tower is something I've played with and got some good results. I settled on the following setup.

I got a container and placed two bricks in the bottom for ballast against wind.

Stood a large circumference pipe with plant holes drilled into it vertically in the centre then filled the container with soil.

I got a narrow piece of plastic pipe the full length of the original pipe which I drilled holes into up to half way. I stood this into the original pipe with the drilled holes at the bottom. I then filled the large original pipe half way with soil.

I got a second piece of narrow pipe half the length and drilled holes into it, blocked one end off and placed it into the large original pipe blocked end down and filled the large original pipe to the top with soil.

When it came to watering one of the narrow pipes watered the bottom half and the other the top half, this seemed to work as I was also concerned the bottom half would get twice the water if I used just one length with holes drilled all the way up it.

The ballast is also important because once the strawberries grow there is a lot of surface area for the wind to push.

• stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127

Kweegly, thanks for explaining in such detail. Can I ask roughly how tall your unit is? The main container was roughly what diameter? I like the twin pipes for watering!

• 7 feet tall from the ground, I was lucky and got a 225mm pipe for free from a friend. The two watering pipes were only small in diameter, I'd fill them with water do the rest of the garden then do them again at the end.

Also remember the bottom half will get more water because the watering pipe is twice the length. 

Many thanks. I think I'm going to go with plastic crates this time round, mainly because I can add to the height as and when, plus they should be more stable. I like the tower idea but maybe next year !

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,933

If you look up Ken Muir self watering tower pots, I think he has it covered.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Ana Blazoniene 233Ana Blazoniene 233 Ireland Posts: 3
    I find hanging strawberry planters quite handy, they are inexpensive and are available online, you need to water them more often, but slugs can't get them so it's a big bonus in wet Irish climate, it's also convenient to pick your strawberries as you have them at eye level
    To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow - Audrey Hepburn
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915
    i grow mine horizontally in old guttering on a wall, I have two layers of strawberries and two of lettuce during the summer months,

you just have to remember to water them, so i have a old pond pump in a water butt that switches on twice a day during the summer and waters the top gutter the gutters all drain into each other and then back into the butt.
    I was tempted by the guttering idea but when you see the extent of the strawberry's root system, there didn't seem to be enough room. Also, I couldn't guarantee they'd get watered every day. 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,035
    At our allotments some plot holders planted Pallets vertically with strawberries 🍓, However , didn’t work due to lack of water