Forum home Fruit & veg

Urban farming

I would like to start growing vegetables on my south facing balcony in London. It is a sunny spot but quite exposed to the elements and I have had mixed results with plants so far.

Does anyone have any advice on what vegetsbkes to start with and how to give them the best chance of survival?

Many thanks!

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,270

I would concentrate on salads & tomatoes etc maybe climbing beans if you can get any support or put sticks in a trough. Concentrate on things that taste best when eaten really fresh (i.e.straight off the plant). 

AB Still learning

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,227

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO LIVES IN A SOUTH-FACING FLAT IN LONDON. IN SUMMER THE BALCONY BECOMES INCREDIBLY HOT. SHE HAS TRIED GROWING SEVERAL THINGS BUT DEHYDRATION AND SUNBURN SEEM TO BE BIG PROBLEMS.

SHE HAS GONE FOR MEDITERRANEAN HERBS LIKE THYME AND TOUGH THINGS LIKE CHILLIES.

BUT SHE CAN’T AFFORD TO GO AWAY AND LEAVE THEM FOR MORE THAN A DAY.

HOW HIGH UP ARE YOU?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,270

Hadn't thought of that you can get self watering pots. Use deep pots or tubs rather than grow bags they will have a greater water holding capacity.

AB Still learning

• Thanks all - that's really helpful!

We are on the 2nd floor, about 4 metres up. I'll have a look at self watering pots and focus on salad plants to start off with.