New garden questions!

imageimageimage

Hello all.

We have very recently moved into our house, and while we’re planning on waiting a while to ‘do’ the garden, and wait to see what grows through the seasons, but i’m keen to know what a few things are (I’m a complete novice but would like to learn!) 

Can anyone help with identifying the large plant/small tree with orange shoots? And also the (what might be a rose?) with seed pods is too?

Lastly, our neighbour has some kind of creeping vine which has taken over their garden, and is peeking into ours (it has reached - and slightly wrapped around -the small tree with orange shoots). It looks dead, and is very brittle, any ideas? 

Thanks so much in advance.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,236

The first photo is definitely a rose, but very difficult to know which one until in early summer. Could be a Rugosa rose. The other photos look like a Photinia shrub. I can't see the creeping vine-like plant, but someone might.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,648

Could be clematis - montana type?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,550

i think we'll have to wait for some green shoots on the creeping invader before we can come up with a name.

As for the others, a rose of some type and ditto photinia.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,748

From a distance looks like dead Bindweed !

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 790

The rose looks like a rugosa, which can be quite a thug and throws up a lot of suckers and spreads that way but it does smell lovely . When this cold snap is over i would cut it right back to half. 

• Thanks @Bijdezee, I’ll certainly do that.

@Paul B3...uh oh! How would we be able to tell for sure? Does it come back to life when it’s this brittle and dead looking? It’s just snaps off in the hand when you touch it.

and thanks @Dovefromabove and @Borderline, gives me something to look for when bids appear :)

charlottep

I can't really be 100% sure it even is Bindweed ; the dead remnants of that are exceptionally brittle during the winter months .

Spreads by thick white underground roots like spaghetti . When thawed out have a dig around to see if any are visible .

You'll soon know in the spring as the bright green shoots emerge . Not really difficult to control if you keep forking it out . My perennial border has it , but with control it's fairly acceptable (in my opinion anyway).

PS :- In the spring the new leaves emerge on wiry stems and are roughly heart-shaped .

PPS   Could be much worse :- Japanese Knotweed image