Any plants that don't like farmyard manure compost?

UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 221

we have extremely sandy/thin soil in the vast majority of garden beds.  

I create as much leaf mold as possible....very good stuff, but it doesn't give the nutrients.  I create garden compost in the 'pile and wait' fashion.  I just can't create enough to mulch the whole garden.

I have reasonably easy (if back breaking) access to well rotted manure.  

Does anyone know if there are any fairly common plants at all that would really struggle if they were mulched with the manure?  Or put another way, any experienced gardeners done similar and had no trouble?

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 221

i should add, we seem to be fairly acidic soil...so the acidity of manure ( it is acidic right???) shouldn't affect whatever is currently living in the garden.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,915

Lots of plants wouldn't like that. Mediterranean herbs/shrubs that like good drainage in winter, alpines. It's not the acidity, they like it gritty and well drained.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,146

If you favour Mediterranean planting, then your soil is perfect, as Nut says. If your plants are struggling and you are watering twice a day all summer some composted muck should be a real treat for them. Hardy annuals don't need rich soil but most of our popular perennials and shrubs love a bit of muck.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,027

You'll be amazed by the amount of plants that can thrive without manure and just enjoy your free draining soil. You can mix in good compost every year into areas where you want perennials and shrubs that may need slightly moist free draining soil. I have found the following perennials un-fussy with the soils and prefer light soils. 

Here are some that have worked for me in the past. Jasione Laevis, Achusa Azurea, Origanum Laevigatum, Lavenders, Rosmarinus Officinalis, Nepetas, Papaver Nudicaule, Armeria, Eryngiums. Caryopteris Clandonensis a useful low growing shrub that works well with Brachyglottis.

Last edited: 25 February 2018 22:54:33

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 221

Thanks everyone.  What i'm hearing(!) is that i should be fine improving under any common shrubs, excepting those which are thriving already ( ie the lavenders or similar plants known to do well in sandy/dry beds).

I've been mulching under roses, hydrangeas, rhubarb, just thinking particularly in the sunny areas that other plants might also benefit.    I saw last year just what benefit the rhubarb took from the enriched soil.