Forum home Wildlife gardening

Birds and bees

ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,933

Just a reminder please to put out extra fat balls and seeds and peanuts for your garden birds to help get them thru this coming cold snap.  They need all the energy they can get to stay warm as well as get on with nest building for their new breeding season.

Some bees and other pollinators will already be on the hunt for nectar so, if you haven't already got early spring flowers like snowdrops, primroses and primulas, early daffs, maybe think about putting some in pots for them.  We need our pollinators for many crops.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,590

COLD SNAP?

WHAT COLD SNAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHP?

LISTEN,  THE LITTLE BLIGHTERS ARE COSTING US THE BEST PART OF THIRTY QUID A WEEK AS IT IS.image

Last edited: 25 February 2018 15:16:57

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,348

Done Obelixx image...... I've been putting out extra seeds and suet etc for the past few days and the birds have been hoovering it up as if they know what's coming .......

We've got lots of snowdrops, hellebores, crocuses, little narcissus, viburnums, sarcococca and clematis blooming for the bees ... hope they'll be enough. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,933

Great Dove.  I know Pansy but they're worth it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 827

Did it this morning, Obelixx...all the feeders filled with fresh seed and fat balls, cleaned out the bird bath and filled with fresh water.

Also, refreshed the Hoggy food and water, just in case they turn up during the cold snap image

It's so important at the moment as the females will be in egg producing mode which takes a lot of energy, then very soon the parents will have to be fit enough to be hunting for food for the nestlings virtually 24/7 ....... they'll have to be at peak fitness .... they can't afford not to immediately replace the energy used to keep warm in the very low temperatures we're expecting over the next week or so. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

I'm doing the same, crocus, hellebores and 'blue ensign' pulmonaria are the bees favourite at the mo. Daffs are out but they seem to show little interest, buying some aconites for next year. The pigeons have taken the heads off of the snowdrops at the end of the garden, a little gutted. 

Keep an eye out for the early hogs as well, we know hibernation isn't always a constant and they will often appear during a mild spell like we had in January. 

Last edited: 25 February 2018 15:39:54

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,933

Just a few snowdrops and daffs here in the beds but I have a sarcococca and some winter honseysuckle in pots along with tulips already coming in pots.  The two mimosas are in full bloom tho so I hope they're good nectar plants.  Plenty of daisies and speedwell too.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,815

And don't forget to make sure there's water too - defrost your birdbaths image

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I've a feeling that our blackbirds would tuck into sticky toffee pudding given half the chance .... they're eating a lot of porridge oats!!!