Forum home Problem solving

Help identify this bug

Any help identifying these pests that seem to latch on to Duranta (Sheena's Gold) would be appreciated. They are killing off all my plants...nothing I've sprayed seems to stop them

http://i68.tinypic.com/rrtqxk.png

Last edited: 25 February 2018 10:34:22

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,437

No idea but try not spraying anymore as this will also kill off any predators and other beneficial pollinators..   

Try instead to blast them off with a pressure squirt form a hosepipe or squish them with your fingers and maybe apply some garlic spray to deter them while someone who knows pests comes up with an identification.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx says:

No idea but try not spraying anymore as this will also kill off any predators and other beneficial pollinators..   

Try instead to blast them off with a pressure squirt form a hosepipe or squish them with your fingers and maybe apply some garlic spray to deter them while someone who knows pests comes up with an identification.

See original post

Thanks for the advice...tried all that already I'm afraid. They have some symbiotic relationship with ants too...so weird. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,670

The only things I've seen in the UK that look like that are woolly aphids and scale insects.
    But as said above you first need to identify what they are before spraying random insecticides on them, you're probably not doing the plants or predators any good with that method.

Good luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • As you are in Africa and this is a British site you will be lucky if anyone can identify it. Whatever it is, it presumably excretes excess sugar which the ants are feeding on, as they do with aphids.

• Alan Clark2 says:

As you are in Africa and this is a British site you will be lucky if anyone can identify it. Whatever it is, it presumably excretes excess sugar which the ants are feeding on, as they do with aphids.

See original post

Yeah, casting the net wide at this point as nobody here can identify them either. The excrete a black sap that the ants eat. When the bugs, presumably some aphid, fall off, the ants carry them back up...fascinating as it is, they are colonising the whole garden...

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,830

THIS IS PROBABLY A MILLION MILES IN APPEARANCE FROM YOUR PROBLEM BUG BUT THE LIFESTYLE IS THE SAME.

MANY APHIDS SUCK SAP AND EXCRETE HONEYDEW, A SWEET LIQUID WHICH IS EATEN BY ANTS. THE ANTS GUARD THE APHIDS BECAUSE THEY ARE THEIR FOOD SOURCE. 

IF YOU READ THIS ARTICLE YOU WILL SEE THAT ENCOURAGEMENT OF APHID PREDATORS IS THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM RATHER THAN OBLITERATION OF APHIDS AND ANTS. A SPRAY WHICH KILLS APHIDS WILL UNDOUBTEDLY KILL ANTS. TOO, WHICH MAY SEEM, SHORT TERM, TO BE SATISFYING BUT IN THE LONG TERM WILL RESULT IN A DEGRADED ENVIRONMENT.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/shrubs/oleander_aphid.htm

BESIDES HARVESTING HONEYDEW, ANTS ARE A VALUABLE ALLY IN THE GARDEN BIOSPHERE AND SHOULD BE THANKED RATHER THAN ZAPPED.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,325

Looks like the 'cottony cushion scale insect':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icerya_purchasi

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • After a day of googling, it's been identified. 

https://www.sanbi.org/creature/lantana-bug

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,830

WELL, THERE YOU ARE, JUST AS I SAID.

IT SUCKS SAP.

IT EXCRETES HONEYDEW.

IT ATTRACTS ANTS.

KILLING THE BUG BY CHEMICAL MEANS IS NOT TO BE ENCOURAGED AS IT WILL ALSO KILL PREDATORS.

BEST METHOD IS TO ENCOURAGE PREDATORS.

JUST SO.

AND TO CAP IT ALL, THE STUPIDITY OF MANKIND MADE CLEAR BY THE FACT THAT IT WAS INTRODUCED TO SOUTH AFRICA AS A  BIOLOGICAL CONTROL AGENT AND THEN HAD TO ILL MANNERS TO LIKE ITS SURROUNDINGS AND RUN RIOT. HOW SURPRISING. THE AUSTRALIANS HAVE THEIR CANE TOADS, YOU HAVE YOUR CROSS TO BEAR.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.