Forum home Problem solving

Is it safe to use the soil from under a walnut tree?

We are in the process of having our garden restructured. This includes paving an area around a well established walnut tree. Mounds of very rich looking soil has been removed from under it and is currently piled up on area which will become raised beds. Trouble is, I thought walnut trees made the soil round them toxic and therefore difficult for many plants to grow. Should I be using this soil at all in the new beds? Will it be ok if I mix it with plenty of compost?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,688

YES, IT’S TRUE THAT CERTAIN PLANTS HAVE “FRIENDS” AND “ENEMIES”.

WALNUT TREES DO PRODUCE A CHEMICAL WHICH INHIBITS THE GROWTH OF OTHER PLANTS. BUT NOT ALL PLANTS. HERE IS A USEFUL ARTICLE GIVING A LIST OF BOTH WALNUT’S FRIENDS AND ENEMIES.

http://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/horticulture-care/plants-tolerant-black-walnut-toxicity

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Walnut and black walnut is not the same tree Pansyface. 

Jackie228, is it the common walnut you have or another?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

I don't think you'll have any problems

• Sorry for the delay in replying - been out all day! Thank you all for your quick responses. Fire Lily, it's the common one, I believe. 

• Okay, then it shouldn't be a big problem, I've seen things grown under them, but to be safe from wasting a lot of money, buy cheap seeds like lettuce and radishes the first year. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,688

JUST IN PASSING, MY ENGLISH WALNUT IS GRAFTED ONTO A BLACK WALNUT ROOTSTOCK AND NOT MUCH THRIVES UNDER IT.

Juglone occurs in the leaves, bark and wood of black walnuts although to a lesser degree than their roots and hulls. A Black Walnut sapling can spread juglone twice the radius of its small canopy.  English Walnut and Carpathian Walnut trees are sometimes grafted onto Black Walnut rootstock (Juglans nigra L.) and Butternut rootstock (Juglans cinerea L.), making those trees produce toxins as well. Because juglone is poorly soluble in water, it tends not to leach out of the soil. Many plants such as tomato, potatoblackberryblueberryazaleamountain laurelrhododendronred pine and apple may be injured or killed within one to two months of growth within the root zone of these trees. A few other trees closely related to black walnut produce limited quantities of juglone although toxicity is seldom observed. Those trees are butternut, English walnut, pecan, shagbark and bitternut hickory.

I BOUGHT IT HERE.

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/walnut-trees

Last edited: 25 February 2018 19:45:19

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • We have a Juglans regia, not grafted.  We have planted various plants immediately around the base with no problem.  It is carpeted by alpine plants right up to the trunk and they are thriving.  Should be no problem with the common Walnut as the others say.