Forum home Problem solving

Is it safe to use the soil from under a walnut tree?

We are in the process of having our garden restructured. This includes paving an area around a well established walnut tree. Mounds of very rich looking soil has been removed from under it and is currently piled up on area which will become raised beds. Trouble is, I thought walnut trees made the soil round them toxic and therefore difficult for many plants to grow. Should I be using this soil at all in the new beds? Will it be ok if I mix it with plenty of compost?

• Walnut and black walnut is not the same tree Pansyface. 

Jackie228, is it the common walnut you have or another?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,416

I don't think you'll have any problems

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Sorry for the delay in replying - been out all day! Thank you all for your quick responses. Fire Lily, it's the common one, I believe. 

• Okay, then it shouldn't be a big problem, I've seen things grown under them, but to be safe from wasting a lot of money, buy cheap seeds like lettuce and radishes the first year. 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831

We have a Juglans regia, not grafted.  We have planted various plants immediately around the base with no problem.  It is carpeted by alpine plants right up to the trunk and they are thriving.  Should be no problem with the common Walnut as the others say. 

• Hi there, I am intrigued by this thread as I just bought an English walnut tree to fill a gap in the garden and I wonder if I have chosen badly! There is not much near it, but I do worry about the lawn which comes quite close to the trunk. Lower level plants can be re-sited. I have a 25m long garden but it is only 6m wide, can I keep the walnut trimmed annually to keep it to a reasonable height and spread?