Forum home Wildlife gardening

Show us your ponds

After repeatedly promising each year to create a wildlife pond in my garden, I keep delaying it as there's always other jobs to do. But I feel this year is the year!

So, for inspiration, it would be nice to see photos of other peoples ponds, whether it be a fish pond or a wildlife pond.

Any photos appreciated, thanks.

• Any? Okay. image One overgrown dew pond and project 2768 on my list of things that need fixing:

http://image1.gardenersworld.com/img.jpg?tag=3f38ca04-923b-44bb-a205-5822af0481eb&width=1280&quality=40

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,241

‘AFRAID WE SHALL HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE GREMLINS TO BE ROUNDED UP AND THROWN OUT, LF.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,872

I see it's the time of year when we can't upload photos again...
    Usually clears by June :)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899

Leadfarmer, I created a small pond last year and started a thread on here. Dont know how to create a link to it but its called 'Creating a wildlife pond'.  I'm sure if you search for it it will come up. when the photo function is working again I'll post a couple more piccies.  Good luck with the pond.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/creating-a-wildlife-pond/995411-5.html  This is where it is but don't know how to make the link work, perhaps someone will come along who does.

Oh it worksimage

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574

Here's ours LF.   It was dug for cattle originally and has no liner.   The photos start with pics taken in July 2016 when we signed the contracts to complete the purchase.  We then had almost no rain for over a year.   The pics continue thru the seasons and from different angles to Nov 17 when chappy came to clear all the crud - bull rushes, brambles, goat willows, rubble etc to leave a deep hole with two shelves and not a drop of water.

In December the drought finally broke and, since then, we've had a year's worth of rain, have planted a weeping willow at the far end - just coming in to leaf now - and a twisted willow at this end.   The water level is high and we've even had the first snow in about 10 years.

Once the icy blasts form Siberia are over I'll be heading to a nursery for some cornus alba sibirica to put on the far bank for winter colour and maybe some kind of marginal irises or pontederia.  Has to be something that won't invade and won't mind when the pond dries up in summer.

http://s211.photobucket.com/user/Obelixx_be/library/Obelixx%20pond?sort=2&page=1

Last edited: 25 February 2018 14:57:41

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

That's not a pond Obelixx, that's a lochan!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574

Nowhere near big enough Hogweed.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Anything here bigger than a puddle, esp if found in the hills, is a lochan to us!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller