Forum home Problem solving

Christmas Cactus

I've had my Christmas cactus for 15yrs and it thrived in the same place it's whole life. Right before I moved my mom stuck it outside forgot it over night I believe it got too cold and since moving it now lives in a window that only gets maybe 4hrs of light, it was use to about 8hrs. I also replanted it to a bigger pot, the soil had not been changed in a very long time and it needed more room. It also shares the pot with a large Jade plant and 1 small succulent. Basically, I just noticed today there looks like there could be mold in the soil near the Christmas cactus and Jade. The Christmas cactus stem looks horrible not healthy at all, but it is growing new parts of the plant, slowly, although it did not bloom at all this year. I'm looking for help to save this cactus. Any opinions or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. This is the only window I have that gets any light so moving it isn't an option, the pot is about 2.5ft tall there's rocks at the bottom and the soil is for cactus its about 6minths old now. I'm not sure if I've watered too much or not enough, I water it maybe 1 or 2x a week but not much water and it's always close to the stem, I also spray it 1 or 2x a week with misted water.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• image can anyone see this image?

Last edited: 24 February 2018 20:09:56

• Did you move far? They are sensitive to lime in the water, so rainwater is better. Take cuttings as a backup. 

I wouldn't grow those plants together, Schlumbergera is from rainforrests and the others from the savanna, totally different growing conditions.

Last edited: 24 February 2018 20:30:47

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,819

Will someone kindly enlighten me on what the hell a 'Jade Plant' is supposed to be !!!

Please use botanical names so we all know what we're talking about .

Schlumbergera truncata is a forest epiphyte , so its requisites are understood .

Last edited: 24 February 2018 20:51:32

• Crassula ovata

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,819

Thanks for that FireLily ; one of the ubiquitous succulents seen in many a Chinese 'take-away' window !

Known as the 'Money Plant' also . Personally I wouldn't give them a second look .

• I always water any Cacti from the base,under the pot. I have an Aloe Vera in my bathroom which has never been watered,taking moisture from the steam. Did you use a cacti compost with some grit when repotting it????

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Fire Lily says:

Did you move far? They are sensitive to lime in the water, so rainwater is better. Take cuttings as a backup. 

I wouldn't grow those plants together, Schlumbergera is from rainforrests and the others from the savanna, totally different growing conditions.

I only moved 20min away. But the light it receives now is maybe half of what it was used to. And the 2 plants have grown with each other in the same pot for 15+ years only recently has it been a concern. I will repot if it will save the Christmas cactus I don't want to lose it. I took out the molded soil and exposed the roots and there's a very large whole in it I'm now concerned it may be root rot I think it my have been watered too much. 

Cagzo- yes It was a cacti friendly compost. I don't remember the exact description but I did my research for what would be the best mix and bought exactly what I found online from home depot